which rocker goes where?

smithll

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey People,
Well I just got my head back from getting the valves ground, I went to put the rocker arms back in the cylinder head cover and I noticed that there are different numbers marked on the four rocker arms. Two of the arms are marked #18 and the other two are marked #19. My question is...Where do the different numbers go?... I think I have them mixed up! THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

Lars

They're all the same. I don't know why yours have different numbers on them. Different manufacturing lot? It's best to put them back in the spot they came out of. You did put all the valve train parts in 4 different marked containers (left intake, left exhaust, right intake,etc.), right?

I took them off in order and kept the parts together, then I noticed the numbers and the positions they were in didn't make any sense so I assumed I had them mixed up. Thanks for your input

That's correct. It makes no difference. Unles you have an early motor that uses a decompression device then there is a tang on one rocker that goes to the device

Do the Porsche elephant foot adjuster mods before you assemble them back in the rocker box. A bit expensive, around $25-$30 a set of four, but well worth the cost. Easier to adjust, more accurate adjustment, quieter, less valve stem wear.
On the stock adjuster the ball end wears flat and gouges the valve stem. The elephant foot covers the whole end of the stem and won't pit the stem.
The pitting and flat spots make setting the valves harder. The feeler gauge won't bend down in the pits, so the gap is too wide. With the flat foot and flat stem you get no pitting so the adjustment is easier and much more accurate.
The quieter part comes from the way the foot is attached to the adjuster, oil fills the socket and works like a hydralic lifter. This absorbs some of the shock of the rocker hitting the valve. This quiets the noise.
On mine with the valves set .003 I, .006 E at idle you can't hardly hear the engine run.
On the early engines all the rockers had the tang for the decompressor. Easier and faster to assemble the engine if all the same. They used them that way for at least two years after they stopped the decompressor. My 75 has the tangs. Not sure when they quit, my 81 and 82 engines don't have them.
Leo

I got mine from PAP-Parts
$3.13 each x 4 = $12.52 + $14.20 S&H + $26.72 total.
I don't have a website bookmarked.
Maybe Ebay. Volkswagen/Porsche dealer. Maybe at a salvage yard.
Leo

The rocker arm needs a bit of modding to get them to work. Hers a pic of a stock one and a modded one. You need to grind about 4 mm from the rocker arm to provide clearance for the foot of the adjuster.
I did mine on the bench grinder. Holding it with bare hands is a good idea. It lets you know when the rocker gets warm. When warm set it down and work with the next one.
Some have used a ball shaped grind stone in a die grinder to just recess the foot in the rocker.
If you think this might weaken the rocker it does but not enough to worry. This mod has been used for years with out a problem.
I ordered mine 12/15/08 and not problems yet. Ran them in the 75 engine as a 650 and now in it as a 750. Thats over two years and it gets run easy most of the time but it has seen redline a few times.
Leo

Attachments

• ElephantsFootandStock.jpg
    ElephantsFootandStock.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 136
Thanks for all the info!

Hey xs Leo, My stock adjuster feet are pitted so I think I'll do the Elephant foot modification, it looks like a good solution. Thanks for the help.

Lars

Back