Which tank do I need?

The Standard tank is larger, about a gallon more. Supposedly they'll fit right on a Special. 1979 and older tanks will have two petcocks as opposed to only one on your stock '81 tank. That's not a big deal. You can plumb both to a "T", then down to the single fuel inlet on your BS34 carbs, or block one petcock off and only use one.

However, there is a small downside to blocking one petcock off. That side of the tank won't drain fully. When Yamaha went to the single petcock tank, they redesigned it internally, lowering the area at the rear so both sides could drain out the one sided petcock better.

Standard, (74-79), and Special, (79-84), tanks interchange on the frames from 74-84. All Standard tanks have twin petcocks. Standard Gas caps are different to the special caps and they are available from after market suppliers, eg Mikes and others.

There are differences in the Standard tanks you may want to consider. The 74/75 Standard Tank gas cap is very difficult to get parts for so if a tank is missing any gas cap parts i would pass.

76/77 Standard tanks have on/off/res petcocks and decals.

78/79 Standard Tanks have emblems mounted with screws and they are expensive to replace and they also have Vacuum petcocks.

78/79 Special Tanks have twin Vacuum petcocks

Pic 1; 74/75 on left, Note Gas cap difference........79Standard in middle...Special tank on right

Pic 2; 74/75 Gas cap from rear

Attachments

• P1000917.JPG
    P1000917.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 217
  • P1000921.JPG
    P1000921.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 181
Haveing swapped a earlier 2 petcocked Standard tank to replace the stock single outlet Special tank for my SG, it's not as easy to put a "T" in. There's the line for engine breather, frame's back tube. Every "T" I found was too wide to fit. I ended up using a lopsided "Y" and a couple of small straight fuel filters.

The other big difference other than the petcocks and size is the filler caps are in a different place, standard is central, and the caps don't interchange.

Back