Who buys this stuff

Someone who doesn't shop around or know what they're buying? Or maybe no one. Hasn't that side cover been on there forever?

At those prices you could part out a ratty XS650 for like $15,000... or more. :laugh:

had the side-cover in my watch list for over 2 years now. I can't fathom the cheek of some of these guys, to much of :smoke: and :cheers: has made them :boxing:drunk

Nos parts, now i can understand some people paying over the top $ for these.

You obviously have no respect for Capitalism.

We need these kinds of listings to deplete the resources of those who would bid against us for real parts.

What pisses me off is that what is absolute shit is now 'valuable'. In the past you'd give this shit away or toss it but in the new world order every pieces of garbage has some value, as long as your shipping and handling covers your costs you are making a profit.

What pisses me off is that what is absolute shit is now 'valuable'. In the past you'd give this shit away or toss it but in the new world order every pieces of garbage has some value, as long as your shipping and handling covers your costs you are making a profit.

"value" is what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller. If you want to buy flattened/pitted ball bearings from the steering head of a 30 year old motorcycle that has been sitting in the rain for 20 of those years, there will surely be somebody willing to sell them to you.

Remember, "a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place."

"value" is what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller. If you want to buy flattened/pitted ball bearings from the steering head of a 30 year old motorcycle that has been sitting in the rain for 20 of those years, there will surely be somebody willing to sell them to you.

Remember, "a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place."

Somewhere there was a shift from "I can help you out" to "I can fuck you" mentality. I would rather help you out than get a few bucks, but that is just me.

Somewhere there was a shift from "I can help you out" to "I can fuck you" mentality. I would rather help you out than get a few bucks, but that is just me.

There have always been elements of both of those philosophies both in the motorcycle world and the world at large. But I'd say the "greed is good" (aka "the winner is the guy who fucks the loser" in any transaction) thing really caught on in the Reagan/Thatcher era and became dominant in the Bush/Blaire years. In Eisenhauer's time it was "cheaters never prosper" but recent history has proven to be the better teacher of the opposit proposition.

In the words of Mr. T "I pitty da fool"

3 1/2 years ago i got back into the XS650, the wreckers were dumping all their XS parts on ebay, the Xs was taking off and there were buyers about and the stuff sold. Whole engines sometimes 3 or 4. there was 1500- 1800 XS parts in my saved searches, (real parts, not add-on or aftermarket ), and usually in fair to good condition .

Now the XS has such a following and the wreckers have got rid of their parts, (long time ago), there are 10-11 Thousand XS parts in my saved searches, LOL, carbs who's needles are separated from the slides, and choke parts dismantled and the gasket offered for sale. Does make me wounder if there are buyers for that sort of stupidness. The spiffs will try to sell us anything.

Cheating is OK. Didn't you whatch the Clinton Cigargate proceedings? (politics are against the rules, ya know!) People are not embarassed or shamed by anything anymore. We are not allowed to judge others, lest we offend them. Once again, jacked up course we are on here.
In the opinion of one accused of having an old soul, those who attempt to profit from others in need, are themselves in need of a sound beating about the head and crotch until rendered into putty.

I F***** hate Ebay, its killed off cheap classic motorcycling & generally over-inflated the prices of anything on wheels:mad:

3 1/2 years ago i got back into the XS650, the wreckers were dumping all their XS parts on ebay, the Xs was taking off and there were buyers about and the stuff sold. Whole engines sometimes 3 or 4. there was 1500- 1800 XS parts in my saved searches, (real parts, not add-on or aftermarket ), and usually in fair to good condition .

Now the XS has such a following and the wreckers have got rid of their parts, (long time ago), there are 10-11 Thousand XS parts in my saved searches, LOL, carbs who's needles are separated from the slides, and choke parts dismantled and the gasket offered for sale. Does make me wounder if there are buyers for that sort of stupidness. The spiffs will try to sell us anything.

In the last ten years the growth of the XS650's popularity over the world has been amazing, creating a demand for XS parts. The American market of those parts got its first cull when buyers from England came here and bought up entire inventories from bike shops and bone yards.

An after-market emerged producing parts needed to keep these bikes running. That market is solid with more products becoming available all the time. A replacement for the stock stator is finally filling that long vacent market niche. I'm thinking, that the two stockers that I have on the shelf will be declineing in value soon. Swing-arm seals, steering head bearings, and most side covers are readily available at reasonable prices.

The XS community is in pretty good shape - parts wise - I'd say.

Fools will have plenty of opportunity to pay too much for nothing of course, that's just part of the way things work.

I could see buying a rusty or broken piece from an extremely rare vehicle to repair for use, or to take measurements from it. This seller might be listing this stuff because of a distorted sense of optimism, rarity, or some other benign motive. But eBay has made me cynical. It's possibly a lame attempt to create a false sense of scarcity, with no expectation of selling this junk, to spark demand for other more useable parts. These kinds of seller shenanigans aren't new, but it's maddening when they succeed. I won't start worrying about ball-bearing inflation just yet, though. :er:

Back