Who's using Honda Rebel shocks?

xHolepunchx

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was curious from those of you using shocks off the rebels to lower, how would you say it changed the ride? Also, anyone riding two up on these ever? Working a dropseat-style build but would like to be able to occasionally have my girl ride along while dropping the tail a bit.

I might be able to tell you after this weekend if I get out for a test ride? just gotta finish the wiring, plumb it up and hope it runs.

I do know that if you have a s-model you might have some clearence issues on the left side with the sproket. Its very close...far too close for a belt guard. Now sure how they would fit on a standard model. I also noticed that I'll probably set the preload to the lightest setting, at least that where I got a feeling it should be after mockup.

Mine is a non chop. Been riding around with the Rebel shocks and love them. It firms it up a little bit but no issues.

I havent riden with them on, but on the bike i bought the previous owner had them on there for a brat build. ride height looks appropriate and the seemed a bit firmer that the stockers. Im going hardtail, decided to sell the brat kit and rebel shocks, not my particular cup of tea

Mine are set on the highest preload because my bike is pretty low. It makes for a stiff ride, but will sometimes scrape the pipes or kickstand on the ground if I hit a bump mid turn.

Mine are set on the highest preload because my bike is pretty low. It makes for a stiff ride, but will sometimes scrape the pipes or kickstand on the ground if I hit a bump mid turn.

Can I ask how much you weigh and how old your shocks are? My rebel shocks are brand new and I'm setting the bike up for my wife who's pretty light weight.

I am 180 and the rebel shocks were from a 1985 model, so the shocks are pretty old, but they were in good shape.

joining this one pretty late, I realize, but I thought I'd throw in my .02. I run new Rebel shocks on my '81 Special, stock frame. I had to remove the chain guard and the clearance between the chain and the shock skirt is about 1/16 inch, so it's about as close as it can get and still work. I keep my chain adjusted so it doesn't rub, though occasionally it will slap on a big rut... I've thought about cutting a small chunk out of the skirt just to be safe, but... I'm lazy.
As for the ride itself, I like it. I'm 5'6" so it's nice to get my boots flat on the ground at a stop, and I like the stiffened feel to the frame. No issues cornering... if anything I like the feel better than the stock suspension, but that might be due to the fact that 30+ year-old shocks are gonna be mushy. Anyway, for what it's worth, I think it's a good, cheap way to lower the stance of your bike without resorting to struts... I've done that too, and the kidneys were NOT pleased.

Back