Why Did You Choose An XS650

Dozer281

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys, first I would like to say WOW, this forum is a great source of information:thumbsup:. The amount I have learned on here in the short time I have been a member is insane! To all of you contributing members, please keep the knowledge flowing, us new guys really appreciate it!

Anyhow, back to my question....I am looking to purchase an older bike to turn into a bobber (first build) and am trying to decide on which bike to get:banghead:. I am looking to pick up a running bike and cant seem to find one for a decent price (I'm in Houston so if you guys know of anything.....:D) but am keeping my eyes open. So far I am leaning toward an XS650 because I love the way they look when they are hard tailed the kick start gives it the feel that I am looking to keep with the build I have in mind. Besides that, parts seem to be plentiful. That being said, what other reasons do you all have for choosing the XS650 over say a CB750 or a GS750, etc? What makes this bike so desirable?

I am new to bikes so any info you can provide is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, and post pics of your bikes if you have them! We want to see what you guys are riding:bike:

For me, even though I have a stocker, I think it is the parallel twin motor look. You can do a bobber out of an inline four but there is more work with four of everything. I'm going to venture those inline four motors are a bit wider too. Slim is good. Pics in the tab at the top of the page. "Pictures"

Because it was inexpensive and easy to work on, with a great supply of inexpensive parts. And it looks good and is a good size for my purposes. But I would go with even smaller for the extra mpg, all things equal. Also, another factor was websites like this one, with helpful people to bail you out.

Long production run with high sales so lots of parts, new, used, and aftermarket. The British look without the British minuses. 650 is just right for size and twin lets you put your feet forward without doing the splits. No you can't buy that part for any amount of money gotchas. like you mention kick start. Simple, simple, simple to work on, troubleshoot and fix.

DSC07234.jpg

DSC07228.jpg

I chopped both a cb750 and an xs650.They are both easy to do.The old jap bikes are getting harder to find these days but they are out there.

The xs is a much more rideable engine because of the low end torque.My cb750 has the 836cc and big cam so it needs to run higher rpm's.

My favourite bike is the xs.Can't wait to find another one!!!

My first bike was a late 60's Triumph 500, back around 1974.
When I decided to get back into riding, I contacted an ol' bud that had stayed biking all those years. I told him I was looking for something like my old trump but without the hassles. He said to get an xs650- prefferably one with the electronic ignition.A true friend and mentor he is and the advice was spot on! Reasons for the bike have been mentioned above. Love my '83.
36mmforks004.jpg

my father's been talking xs650's up for as long as i can remember. Came time for him to buy another one, so i did some research online to see what the big deal was and found parts are cheap, has a kick starter, and the engine is so simple to work on. After he bought one (a beautiful 1978 special), i took it for a spin and a week later i bought one of my own for 600 bux.

I rebuilt a 1982 cb750 after high school, damn thing was expensive and complicated as hell to work on. plus the extra added weight to make a straight 4 cylinder 750 makes the bike far less fun to ride than a 650.

I really kind of backed into my XS. I have a 1980 GS450 and was looking for carb parts. I did a search for BS34's, because that's what's on the Zook, and found the Mike's XS site. Then I started searching and looking at images of XS650's and saw that they were easily customized and parts were plentiful. My best friend is a chopper guy and was ALL ABOUT doing this. Found one on craigslist for $700, and the rest, as they say, is history. I really love twins as well. I had a Maxim 550 years ago, and I remember hating how buzzy it was. I also had a Ninja 750. Tons of power, but somehow, just sterile compared to the XS. Inline 4's work almost too well. They're like electric motors sometimes, no soul. My XS has been my favorite bike I've owned.

Attachments

• rsz_bike_done_008.jpg
    rsz_bike_done_008.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 278
I have wanted one ever since I saw my first 1971 at the Yamaha shop in San Diego. I was a student at San Diego State and the price was about $1200 I think. About the price of my student loan and I was tempted. In 2009 I bought a 1978 and 1976both Standard models. I am hooked. Tony C.

Cheaper to get the engine right, only 2 of everything. I think it has the best online parts and tech support of any classic bike out there. Great info from others on this site to make the work fun and easy. Good looking ride. A nice balance of looks, performance, sound and cool factor.

Got into Triumphs 4 years ago. Rebuilt two of them, decided I spent too much time in the garage keeping them running and parts were crazy expensive. Eventually heard the story of how Yamaha ripped off the design but made it better. My next bike was a 77 standard. I only ride that one. No need to wrench thank god! I've been in and out of three different XS650 motors since then and love how simple yet reliable they are. When working on Triumphs there were a couple times when I put something together and though how in the hell is that going to stay together?

I grew up riding 650 Triumph and 650 BSA, so the XS650 was a natural choice. The XS650 sounds like one of the old 650 Britt bikes and it's easy to work on. The 4 cylinder engines are too busy, and like the man says, you have 4 of everything to fix.

Wow, I guess it sounds like I should narrow the search to only the XS650 and dump the idea of a CB or GS model. Should I focus on any particular year model? In reading it looks like 1980 is where any significant changes were made but they seem limited to appearance. Do the '80 and newer models have a wider rear tire? Anything in particular I should be concerned with?

really no major differences after 77 (bigger fork tubes) electronic ignition on 80 and up specials all have 16" rear wheels all the same width. probably biggest difference is mags or spokes.

When I was a little guy, I loved bikes, but my parents hated them I never even started riding until years after my parents had passed. I have a quarter-liter Ninja that I love - she's a keeper - but I wanted a good platform to get my hands a little dirty with and do a mild cafe roadster. I love the British twins, but they're cost-prohibitive. Also, I lack the hardcore skills that a lot of the guys here have - I'm more of a tinkerer - so when I happened upon my '73 that was stone dead but able to be revived, I brought her home in the back of a buddy's pickup. About three years later, we're getting there. Fussy gal with a few residual issues, but she sends chills up my spine.

TC

Attachments

• 100_1076.jpg
    100_1076.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_1071.jpg
    100_1071.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_1080.jpg
    100_1080.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 205
In 76 or 77 my BSA 441 Victor started making bottom end noises. I traded it in in milk crates for a new Cooper enduro at a friends dad's shop. It was ok, but wasnt what I really wanted. My brother in law had a maroon and white 72 XS650 that he ran through a ditch and a barbed wire fence. All it did was hurt his pride and scratched him and the bike up. Sis said he had to get rid of it. I really liked the bike so I sold the Cooper, and bought his XS. I rode it for about the next 3 years going to college. Sold it to a close friend in 1980 with drag bars, a cafe fairing and a Mac exhaust on it. Have had numerous other bikes, some with zero characture since then, but have had several 650's. Like someone else said, they seem to have a soul. I have 3 XS's right now, along with ironically, the old 441...same bike. Friends dad ended up with it about 3 years ago in the same milk crates I traded it in to him. He called me and said he had rebuilt the engine, and had found another very low mileage Victor. I had first dibs, pay him for the bottom end rebuild. A week later and 1500 miles it was home in my shop. I get O'l Vic out and go for a ride a few times a month now, but in my book nothin' beats a six-five-oh, whether it be stock, bobbed, chopped, trackered or what have ya. I will always as long as I am able to ride have one.

Back