Why Did You Choose An XS650

Thanks for the links, great reads.

It really sounds like most all of you have a deeper connection with these bikes than most do with their wives, lol. The more and more I read the less patient I am becoming...I guess that my mind is made up, XS650 or nuthin'. I have been keeping an eye out on all the local listings but havent found anything in my area (or withing 300 miles or so). Can anyone suggest any other options for picking one of these bad boys up? I originally started out with a $500 budget but it seems like that is just not going to happen with an XS so I dont mind paying more, just not a whole lot more. Is it reasonable to think that I can pick one up for about a $1k in running condition?

1,000 bux should get you really nice one. i got mine for 600 running, a little chopped though. i found mine on craigslist. you find a a lot of em just cruising around the back roads, they're easy to pass on the road if you're not looking - atleast thats the case in northern michigan.

I am keeping my eyes open while driving on the backroads for sure. I guess I will need to be patient and wait for something to come my way.

crazed list or one similar is your friend and you can post a WTB on Craigs also. if you are bobbing cosmetics aren't as important so that increases the field and lowers the $$ required. Took the HS to town today, topped off the tank cause the end is near. My wife took her Shadow to work to day also. Dozer where are you located?

They're pretty tough to find around here. I know you're in Houston but if you're willing to travel Ive got a line on a complete motor and titled frame in Baton Rouge, LA. About 4 hours from you. He's wanting $500 but Im not sure how solid he is on that price. PM me if you want some of his contact info.

My 77D chose me and I'm glad she did!

Tom Graham

The more and more I read about these the more and more impatient I am becoming in purchasing one, lol. I have not heard any bad stories on these, nothing but praise.

Just my luck, the last 3 I found for sale ended up falling through:( Still looking, patience is a virtue however it seems that I may not be very virtuouse:confused:!

crazed list or one similar is your friend and you can post a WTB on Craigs also. if you are bobbing cosmetics aren't as important so that increases the field and lowers the $$ required. Took the HS to town today, topped off the tank cause the end is near. My wife took her Shadow to work to day also. Dozer where are you located?

Hey Gary, I am in Houston. I have a posting on CL as well as several other sites. Keeping my eyes open on the roads too. I have faith that the one that is meant for me will come my way when its time! For now I am just finishing up all the small projects at home and cleaning out the garage in preperation:D

Not too complex.....wanted a kick & electric air cooled twin with good performance, parts supply, availability, points, carbs, DIY maintainance, availability......pretty short list really.....My list is headed by our XS 650's, Beemers, Trumpets & CB 450's. How about yours? Blue

I ran into the Minton Mods article and remembered the XS650 from long before. I was intrigued, stumbled upon a 1980 Special II for $700, and had fun learning how to upgrade it. I had some extra mad money so it wasn't too bad. Nine years later and it's still with me. The motor always looked great. The Special tank is beautiful (and small). Nice looking bike with some flaws you can correct. When the Harley crowd's impressed, you know you have done good work.

Got into Triumphs 4 years ago. Rebuilt two of them, decided I spent too much time in the garage keeping them running and parts were crazy expensive. Eventually heard the story of how Yamaha ripped off the design but made it better.

Come on... I love my '69 TR6c and she is very reliable (saying this as I head out to see why the brake light went out last night and hoping it just the bulb.. :shrug:) Anyway, the XS is not as powerfull as the Triumph IMO based on the butt-meter, and the Triumph is less bulky, and feels lighter. But I can buy three XS650s for the price of my TR6c. So I have more fun modding the XS and don't have to feel bad. :shrug:

Got my first XS650 a few years ago when a buddy found it in an old storage unit of his... I gave him $400 bucks, took it home and had it running a couple of hours later.. :bike:

I chose mine because it was(in order of importance) 1. cheap 2. good looking motor 3. good aftermarket support.

I chose the XS650 as the platform I wanted to use because the engine isn't as wide as the 4 cylinder bikes which makes it look a lot better when bobbed out. Then I found a running all original bike with under 9K miles for $500 that needed a bit of work and I took it as a sign.

Back in 1978 I bought a brand spanking new 74 cubic inch, (1200cc) Harley-Davidson Superglide. My best friend bought a brand new XS650 a few weeks later. His XS was better at everything except top end and getting the chics. It out handled, out ran and got better gas mileage than my Hog and the previous 750 and 550 Hondas I'd owned. (Okay, the Hondas were a little faster but fell behind in the curves.)

Anyway, I had finally parted with my Hog and dying to get back on 2 wheels. I could write a check for a new Hog but I'm of the age when I'm thinking I might someday need to have some money put back. I've always loved the looks and sound of the British Twins and almost sprung for a new Triumph but then remembered the days when my best friend and I swapped bikes and girlfriends...

And while revisiting girlfriends from 30 years ago isn't exactly my style, I just couldn't resist filling my shop with XS650s.

As a matter of fact, I bought another XS today.

I needed a project for welding class found a bucket for 50 bucks. had no idea all of this was here.
If you have been following my handywork, you may have noticed I'm quite fond of them now.

I kinda jumped on the bandwagon... after 24 years and countless bikes, I stumbled upon a few pictures of an XS 650 chopper.. liked what I saw and spent a year searching for one. Even though I blew the budget I still cant wait to finish it and ride it.. it just seems raw and imperfect in a way that will hopefully remind me of how it felt to ride 24 years earlier.

The amount of parts available is enormous... lots of sites like this one for help and advice and many different styles to base your own on. The motor is tough and reliable with decent gas mileage. I chose to upgrade the older systems to newer for even more reliability.

The only other model of bike I saw, that I considered, hat was done up right (in my mind) was a KZ440 twin from Seattle. But parts for that bike and others are much harder to find... the XS parts flow like butter in 90 degree heat.

Attachments

• Picture 018 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 018 (Medium).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 113
  • kz440 side.jpg
    kz440 side.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
"Can anyone suggest any other options for picking one of these bad boys up? I originally started out with a $500 budget but it seems like that is just not going to happen with an XS so I dont mind paying more, just not a whole lot more. Is it reasonable to think that I can pick one up for about a $1k in running condition"?

Craigslook a great tool - http://claz.org/motorcycles.html?q=Yamaha+XS650

I was looking for a bike that was small and fit me good. I wanted a daily rider, as I only work a mile from my house. My stepfather had one years ago and we would, literally, ride around our little farm on it. When I went looking for a bike I remembered that my 5' 5" frame fit nice on it. I could sit comfortably, plant both feet on terra firma, and liked the style. Plus I love kickers.
I just happened upon one for sale and looked at it....junk!! After that I researched the crap out of 'em and found plenty of parts and tech support. At the time I had no idea of their current popularity. After looking at several I found my bike. I love to ride it as much as I possibly can. I've alwyas liked Triumphs, Nortons, and beezers, but I am an XS man now. A distant friend of mine has a CB750 and the pics he sends me make it look like a shoehorned nightmare. He loves it, but I'll stick with 'Ole Red.
I also love when people say, "your sporty sounds great" and then the look they give when I tell them it's a Yamaha. I have nothing against Harley, as my friends have many, but when we go for a ride they have one hand on the throttle and the other waving at all the other Harleys riding by. I don't think I'd make a good Harley owner. I don't dig the ass-less chaps.

I'm going to give it to you straight:
I got mine because it was in perfect shape and the price was very reasonable....That was back in 1979, the bike is a '75. It had 3500 miles on it and was just like new. In those days of screaming Kawasaki triples and road ripping 900cc fours, the Yamaha 650 was considered as a bit of a plodder, but over the years they have proven themselves to be reliable almost to the point of being bullet proof. Now for the extended version:

The first thing with this bike was to chop it and over the next 25 years it was my platform for 'artistic outlet'. If I had known how long I would have had the machine (32 years now) I would have left it stock and found another bike to fiddle around with. Anyhow, after having an accident about 18 years ago, I decided I didn't want it to be chopped any more, so located a used frame (from a Honda 750) and grafted the tail end onto the Yamaha frame and removed the girder forks in favour of the standard fork tubes...it made an interesting 'street fighter/ bobber', but a few years later I located a replacement '75 650 frame and started moving it more toward the standard XS650 it used to be. Once again, my imagination got the better of me and since it had been mistaken for a Brit bike so many times when it was chopped, I decided to try to make it look the part. The latest incarnation was originally painted black using a Triumph tank and BSA seat, but I eventually located a Yamaha tank and seat. The old BS38 carbs have been giving me some problems the past few years (hopefully the new set from Mikes will cure that issue). I have dubbed it 'Phoenix 8' since this is about the eighth time I have modified it... as far as 'purists' go, it might still be a bit of a 'bastard', but I like it this way, I think it's time to find something else to fiddle with.
Anybody thinking of buying one...my rating is '9' out of '10' :)

yamaha6505.jpg

rosebayYam.jpg

Back