Why Install a Hardtail? O.o?

Thanks for all the input. I don't think I will ever own a hardtail wile I ride in NYC since the roads here are very nasty, but I do love the look they have.

I think the term "Barhopper" has been around a long time and simply means that is about the extent of the trip that the bike is worthy of. Around town. Most small bikes with no suspension are a nightmare on the interstates... Just my 2 pennies....

what the fuck does everyone compare shit to sport bikes for....of course they are uncomfy....they are homologation machines. Race on sunday sell on monday. I can easily tell you my 74 standard is a million time more comfy than the 78 hardtail i had.

Please pass the Geritol. I saw a hardtail Triumph at a rally a few weeks ago. This Triumph looked like a vintage Trumph but with a hardtail, it was for sale because the owner said that he couldn't do that to his body anymore and that it couldn't be ridden for any good distance. I started thinking about my forgotten Yamaha 650 in the shed and how nice it would look painted and set up like this Triumph. I scoped out your forum, made a visit to TC bros and started a folder to collect ideas and wrenching info. I've resurected many bikes, done work for others and have 10 bikes in my garage right now, Kawasakis, Yamahas and Hondas. My bikes range from '74 to '86, all have taken a lot of maintenance and repairs over the years, all are dependable and in great shape except for three. I do not feel that I have missed out by not "building" a motorcycle because my experience and knowledge of what it takes to keep these old machines going in good form is great.

So back to the Triumph and Yamaha. After planning to "build" a hardtail I had to ask myself "WHY". I thought about why I like to ride. I like to go places, not just around in little circles, OK, big circles. I like to have a fuel range of 120 to 200+ miles. I like to ride comfortably, listen to my radio, change positions now and then. I love the interstates. I like to spend the whole day on the interstate, find a Motel 6 at night time and eat at Waffle House. Sometimes I go toward a big city, turn around and go home without actually doing anything but riding. I ride to big cities just to tell people where I went because without that they just would not understand. I did the Iron Butt (1,000 miles in less that 24 hrs) realized I'd been doing this on my own for three decades. Damn, I guess I just like to ride.

Conclusion is, I don't want a hardtail after all. That Yamaha in my shed will look something like that Triumph that I saw at the rally but it sure will not be a hardtail, it may have a tractor seat though.

Scott

I gotta have springs to get to Motel 6 and Waffle House

I like me shocks. And I live on an island, with really shit roads..

And truthfully, Im pretty tired of having to talk to every dude that likes my bike everytime I come out of a store, or pull up to the gas station, and its a close to stock frame..

I can only imagine how annoying it would be riding a hardtail with a wassel..Not only do you have to talk to the old guys who like to bring back old memories, but you would have to talk to all the bros who think your bikes "sick".

The latter tend to avoid me..which im quite happy about.

That being said, I WILL own a hardtail shovel. No doubt about it.

Please pass the Geritol. I saw a hardtail Triumph at a rally a few weeks ago. This Triumph looked like a vintage Trumph but with a hardtail, it was for sale because the owner said that he couldn't do that to his body anymore and that it couldn't be ridden for any good distance. I started thinking about my forgotten Yamaha 650 in the shed and how nice it would look painted and set up like this Triumph. I scoped out your forum, made a visit to TC bros and started a folder to collect ideas and wrenching info. I've resurected many bikes, done work for others and have 10 bikes in my garage right now, Kawasakis, Yamahas and Hondas. My bikes range from '74 to '86, all have taken a lot of maintenance and repairs over the years, all are dependable and in great shape except for three. I do not feel that I have missed out by not "building" a motorcycle because my experience and knowledge of what it takes to keep these old machines going in good form is great.

So back to the Triumph and Yamaha. After planning to "build" a hardtail I had to ask myself "WHY". I thought about why I like to ride. I like to go places, not just around in little circles, OK, big circles. I like to have a fuel range of 120 to 200+ miles. I like to ride comfortably, listen to my radio, change positions now and then. I love the interstates. I like to spend the whole day on the interstate, find a Motel 6 at night time and eat at Waffle House. Sometimes I go toward a big city, turn around and go home without actually doing anything but riding. I ride to big cities just to tell people where I went because without that they just would not understand. I did the Iron Butt (1,000 miles in less that 24 hrs) realized I'd been doing this on my own for three decades. Damn, I guess I just like to ride.

Conclusion is, I don't want a hardtail after all. That Yamaha in my shed will look something like that Triumph that I saw at the rally but it sure will not be a hardtail, it may have a tractor seat though.

Scott

I gotta have springs to get to Motel 6 and Waffle House

We have alot in common, I too love to ride in the same manner as you. In fact Im saving for a BMW 1200GT so I can go cross country. Happy trails Bro!

BruceDuece, is that a DOHC 750 in your stable? I just finished one, love it. Just got a 39 tooth rear sprocket for the Interstate. I can't wait to take a trip on it. Backrest and luggage for my wife, it is so comfortable 2up and a real superbike riding alone. Some vibration but nothing drastic at all. My DOHC didn't charge for years, and many owners, before I got it at 12,000 miles for a few hundred. It had Perellis with nubs in the center.

Waffle House, here I come, Scott

Its a 550 the 750's little brother. I always waned either and I got this for $350.00, Honestly Im going to Cafe it. Not just the look Im going to put a ton of $ into it, to upgrade the suspension and handling. Might be this winter or next. Now im working on a Quad and this XS of mine.

Its a 550 the 750's little brother. I always waned either and I got this for $350.00, Honestly Im going to Cafe it. Not just the look Im going to put a ton of $ into it, to upgrade the suspension and handling. Might be this winter or next. Now im working on a Quad and this XS of mine.

That 550 frame should make a good cafe, good size and geometry to start with. If the swing arm is like the 750 it is heavy gauge and stiff with awesome roller bearings.

Back to the TS program, Scott

I built a hardtail to piss of the guys tht bitch and moan about not having bikes to restore.

Why waste all your energy hating on people? Ride the bike you enjoy riding and get on with your life and stop trying to live other peoples lives for them.

Posted via Mobile

LOL.. you guys are all silly... This really just seems like a thread to hate on HT's..
You make it seem like Hardtails cause freaking Scoliosis..

Many bikes ranging from Racing (Boradtrack, Grass/Flat Track, Drag, etc..) to Military bikes have been hardtail.. In the Past AND present. Hell, Ive spoken to a dude that has experienced WWII on old Hardtailed-BMW's, they did fine.. But again, it's a preference and style. I'ts just a different EXPERIENCE on a motorcycle, no big deal.

COOL! Enjoy the suspension; I do very much on my Honda Cafe...
COOL! Enjoy your Hard-tail; I do on my Cruiser...

Keeping in mind these bikes serve two different purposes/jobs for me.
OH! And you guys with the BRATS! I've ridden a few myself... Might as well call those strutted/Hartails, too...
10.5" Shocks aren't going to help.

It's so obvious Hard-tailing a Performance Street bike, whether it be Cafe, Modern Sport, or Super Moto, is a horrible freaking idea... But that's obvious, isn't it??

Keep in mind, there are a TON of vintage HARDTAILED bikes that will still make you feel like youre driving a Cadillac.. just sayin' lol. If it's your bike, and you don't like it? Built it better or give it to me..

:bike:

Last edited:
I had a hardtail CB750 back in the day. After I got off my CB990F at speed on a race track, the back says; it's suspension for me baby! 5 hours in the VAN is a long time now. And tomorrow I'll be racking up some windshield time when i go to get a rough 77
You just gotta know what a comprimise having no suspension is. We got roads around here that require the "get my butt off the seat" move on a stocker.

You just gotta know what a comprimise having no suspension is. We got roads around here that require the "get my butt off the seat" move on a stocker.

I ride my American V-twin without suspension in my yard and field only, and it beats the shit out of me. Can't imagine our sun-baked cow trails. I'll take all the suspension 10% of the cost of the bike or less will buy. Compromise, maybe. Move in the right direction, come ride my SV650 and tell me. Collecting parts for my Road Star right now. Once I get all those together, it'll be the XS's turn. That one might exceed the 10%, but it's my dad's old bike, so that's OK:thumbsup:

(My American V-Twin is my 20 HP Kohler, on my riding mower):laugh:

A couple of my dad's bikes way back before I was born in 59. All corrugated dirt roads in West Oz then and I believe he used ride hard. I don't know much about hardtail bikes although I do enjoy checking out the work that goes into them. Ride whatever you like is my way of thinking and I'd bet having your arse that attached and low to a good road while giving it shit is a blast that you would never experience on a suspended bike.

Attachments

• img054.jpg
    img054.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 156
  • img057.jpg
    img057.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 167
My Geritol comment was pretty tongue in cheek... The knowledge base here is tremendous and folks don't become experts over night so we are all fortunate to be in such company.

Moreso the closedmindedness of some folks is disheartening. A stripped down, well sorted hard tail is a blast to ride, period. Light weight, good brakes and riding position and you really experience the bike and ride in a way that's very pure and visceral and how can that be a bad thing?

I have to sit here and LAUGH thats what is so great about a site like this you got input of 100's of guys who may live close or overseas and alot have the same out come. I think it all has to come to how you were exposed to the first bikes you were around.At the age of 12 i was exposed to the outlaw world and only seen cutup bikes and really loved the look. As i got older and many accidents later my bones would tell me what i can and can't ride. I always had a road bike and a crazy off the wall hardtail and rode both different. Road bike i was able to ride for hours and rode a couple times from PHILA. to FL. My chop was just the around the town bike and YES FOR THE LOOK because i always had the next build in my head from bikes i seen in mags or at shows.
Choppers in the 60's and 70's are now choppers in 2012 no difference but maybe better parts and better building equipment. BUT THE LOOK is the same. I love Honda's maybe because i was a dealer for a while but i always went back to them . The bike i love to ride is a FURY rides nice looks cool. Am i a sell out from the chopper world maybe but the body tells you what you can ride at my age. Thats whats cool about this site you guys give me great memories of old which i would have never thought of and CHOP STREET DIRT QUAD SHOCK HARDTAIL. ITS A BIKE WORLD
THANKS

Back