Why Loosen Top Pinch Bolts When Removing Fork Caps?

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'll be changing my fork oil (XS650C) in the next few days, and searching the site, I saw that many say to loosen the top pinch bolts before removing the fork caps as the clamping force may be binding the threads. I've never done this when changing fork oil on other bikes. I can see that if the tree is actually contacting the cap, it might present a problem. But I doubt the torque exerted on the tubes would ever be enough to distort the tube to the any extent, let alone bind the threads. Besides, distorted tubes by excessive tightening would be a bad thing. That advice would suggest that the tubes in the triple tree are routinely distorted, unless they have the capacity to spring back. Yesterday, I inserted my 22mm Allen to test the difficulty, and both fork caps began to turn freely.

I may be wrong.... I've been known to be!! :wink2: Is the loosening the top pinch bolts simply done because it has been written so in service manuals or otherwise? Or can anyone point out that tubes have been distorted by actual experience?

Thanks! Just curious... and also want to do it right! :) And I have done it wrong before! I did my first fork oil change around 1975, and in my haste, I didn't think to unload the front wheel. Well... you guys know what happened!!! :doh:

Tight pinch bolts can indeed distort the tube enough to make plug removal difficult. More significantly, putting the plug back in while compressing the spring is tough enough without fighting an out of round tube. (Just my opinion based on doing a lot of things the hard way over the years.)

roy

Thanks for the reply! I will loosen the pinch bolts... it'll add about two minutes to the job! I was just curious as I've never encountered problems before. After reading the posts suggesting that be done, I probably would have done it anyway. Better safe than sorry. Again... your reply is appreciated!

Thanks, 5twins. I haven't given that much thought... but considering how I physically struggle these days with tasks that used to be simple (like... getting up off the garage floor... and being able to see good enough to complete a job!), that is a great idea! That's one tool I don't have, and I'm sure it can be extremely useful to have around.

Not about fork tube caps... but one tool I have owned for a long time and is constantly used is a Phillips head screwdriver that's around 3 feet long! I bought it long ago to reach a carb adjustment screw, but I have found that I can lean on that thing and remove any Phillips head screw without buggering it up. No need for an impact driver. Sometimes simple works!

Thanks again!

Back