Why no seal for electrics?

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Pulled the covers off for the points and advance mechanism to install my Pamco and noticed there are no seals on the covers. Parts book shows none. What keeps water from entering these?

Not really sure, just a snug fit of the cover maybe? It's also pretty hot up there so any little bit that does get in probably dries quickly. Just make sure you have the rubber grommet on the points (or Pamco) wire and the blanking plug on the other side.

It's next to impossible to get the original grommet off the points wire and even if you do, the hole is too big to fit the Pamco wire snugly. Best option is to acquire another right side solid plug and drill it for a snug fit on the Pamco wire. If I recall, 3/16" does it. Also, a bit of fuel line on the Pamco wire to mimic the protection sleeve on the original .....

PamcoPick-upPlate.jpg

Last edited:
It's next to impossible to get the original grommet off the points wire and even if you do, the hole is too big to fit the Pamco wire snugly. Best option is to acquire another right side solid plug and drill it for a snug fit on the Pamco wire. If I recall, 3/16" does it. Also, a bit of fuel line on the Pamco wire to mimic the protection sleeve on the original .....

Makes sense. Wow, I'm glad you mentioned the sealing plug for the Pamco, 'tho I'm sure I would have caught it. time to look for another right side plug. Thanks.

On your points, untie the string next to the points, cut the wires. Slide the cover off the points wires. Feed the Pamco wires back through the cover. Retie the string. Now the wires look stock and the rubber plug fits the wires. Thats what I did on my 75.
Leo

On your points, untie the string next to the points, cut the wires. Slide the cover off the points wires. Feed the Pamco wires back through the cover. Retie the string. Now the wires look stock and the rubber plug fits the wires. Thats what I did on my 75.
Leo

cool, thanks

Back