why not oem rearsets?

4runner

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Why arent many people using used oem rearsets? Is there just not enough $$ saved to make it worth while? It looks to me that fabing up some adapter plates would be easy and don't you have to do that anyway for universal fit aftermarket ones? I'm not being critical, I just dont want to head down a path, with oem's, that is flawed.

There's plenty of people using factory rearsets on builds. It really comes down to $$ , look and personal preference. Some people don't think the more modern look fits on a vintage styled bike, some don't care. Some people just want a bolt on where someone else has already done the work.

I've used R1 sets on a XJ750 LeMans styled build and Ducati Sets on an RD350. Just need to fab a mount, in one case it was just a second tab to weld on.

I'm using 5EB type R6 rear sets of my old bike which I scrapped. Along with the complete front end and other small bits and pieces.
I cut the old foot rest pins off and drilled through the reinforcement plates/frame to fit new bosses which I made on the lathe.
Then welded them from both sides.

Frank

Attachments

• 07012013319.jpg
    07012013319.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 208
Back