Why the XS 650?

Why would anyone dislike the sound of a 650 Yamaha?

Well, It is just a matter of opinion, and I am sure I stand alone on this one. The engine sounds a little flat to me. I came from a background of feather weight components. The type that when you snap the throttle it will startle you if you aren't expecting it. I am hoping with my build to make something that will have a little pop.

hi guys well about back in 1997-8 i was doing moulding machine plant maintenance.. and that year i got a tax cheque.. so i put it in the bank turned it into cash $1400,,, i lined up a guy i knew and he went to the bike shop to have a look.. ,,he took it for a ride up to the black spur the other side of healesville.. and i heard him leave and heard him coming back,,, he rectoned the frame was bent.... so the mechanic put a string ling along the frame ..to prove to both of us it wasn,t bent ,,, they did a roadworthy and delivered to my place and it sat the the back family room for 12 months.. then i got around to riding it and i,ve enjoyed it ever since...regards oldbiker

Well, It is just a matter of opinion, and I am sure I stand alone on this one. The engine sounds a little flat to me. I came from a background of feather weight components. The type that when you snap the throttle it will startle you if you aren't expecting it. I am hoping with my build to make something that will have a little pop.

On the two that I have....one is set up with- or equivalent to- Mikes Commando headers and muffs. The other is with the cut Special headers and the Dunstall repro muffs. Damn son! I wouldn't change a thing for the sound and performance.....I'd throw them onto a hardtailed frame and call it done.....piss on open pipes and shorties......2 cents Yo.

For me, it is all about the engine. Full ball and roller bearings throughout, air cooled, overhead cam, it is like a mechanics wet dream. In addition, there is a very large and friendly group of people that support and maintain them. Lots of parts are available, in fact it is almost to the point that if you have a neck and an engine you can buy the rest new!

There are even some locals that can help out and go for rides with, I take it you are in the Portland area?

Because i just liked the look of them. After owning one since 1990 i have found them to be reliable and just nice to ride long or short distances. They have a sound that says it is a no bones bike and I always though it would become a classic one day and now i have my classic vehicle that is a usable asset.

That is when i get the bloody thing finally fixed and back on the road :banghead: :laugh:

I like the racing heritage and the sound. They are also a lot like the Brit vertical twins only a lot more reliable. On styling: I like the early bikes but the later 'Specials' leave me sorta cold. The great thing is they can look like the earlier bikes without a massive amount of work. I think that's what I like best, they are the ultimate 'blank sheet'.

Performance: they are plenty fast enough to get you thrown in jail. The handling stock leaves a bit to be desired but can be made a lot better with stiffer springs and a fork brace.

Reliability: they are much more reliable than the Brit twins they are compared to a lot.

Back