Wife would kill me but.....

I went and checked it out today. Guy bought it brand new and it only had 4500 miles on it. Very clean and I was actually surprised that the front MC was still working, had the original owners manual still under the seat and everything was stock with ZERO rust, paint was very nice and seat foam wasn't bad. Guy would not budge off his price no matter what. The problem was the sentimental attachment. I tried to tell him it wasn't just the engine that needed work but he was convinced it was just a piston away from being on the road again. He even was surprised when I mentioned new tires. Said there was plenty of tread on the old ones although they were 43 yrs old..... Anyway I didn't see $800 so I walked away. Told him to call me if he changed his mind.

...Guy bought it brand new and it only had 4500 miles on it...
...Very clean...
...the front MC was still working
...original owners manual still under the seat...
...everything was stock with ZERO rust...
...paint was very nice and seat foam wasn't bad...

...$800...

...I walked away...

I think I just heard a dozen Aussies pass out and flop to the floor...

What a shame.

Any idea why the piston cooked off?
He told me that he had actually gotten it running after letting it sit for 30 yrs and when he rode it around the yard it happened. The pipes did have a slight golden color which let me know it must have been running lean to begin with so I'm thinking that may have had something to do with it or maybe the advance weights were sticking and caused a pre-ignition? I guess it could have been caused by not properly preparing it to wake up.

Hmmmm. In my experience, holing a piston take more than that.

How do you know it actually has a hole In the piston?

Pure conjecture, but; it didn't hole a piston. Some carbon came loose and is stuck on a valve seat, now one side doesn't have compression, could be an easy peasy fix, wink! Worse case is a valve hung up and the piston bent it. See meatball mechanic gun brush thread. If I wus closer I'd be sore tempted. Only time I've seen holed pistons is after long highway runs with aftermarket exhaust and stock jetting.

....tempting - but for the 35% exchange rate....and the two other bikes I have on the go at present :(.

yup - I'll be Gary is right.

If you DO come to get it Gary - let me know and I will come over and stand you to a BEvERage!

Pete

Not me, headed to Montana and the Canadian Rockies on Friday. Trailering to Kalispell then on the RSVenture tour-a-pig for about 2 weeks, 2K miles, camping. Traveling with my personal chef (cafephil)
Favorite quote "you brought all THAT on a motorcycle???"

Attachments

• 20160818_175414.jpg
    20160818_175414.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 20160821_162402.jpg
    20160821_162402.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 131
  • RSV ready to camp.jpg
    RSV ready to camp.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Have a great time Gary and travel safely!

Watch for moose, goats, deer and sheep in the mountains!

Pete

The guy told me when it developed the problem he and his son pulled the plug, ran it up to TDC and they could see a hole the size of a dime. just repeating the story I didn't see the hole myself but I did check this bike out. The engine turned with some compression, everything was stock and there in great shape. One small dent in the tank but paint was amazing. Did I sell it for the guy yet?:shootme:

Well that's what the hole looks like when it happens. If you are careful, that bike $2000 in parts and about 200 hours of labor, you'll have a nice rider.

I know but I don't need another "favorite" bike right now, lol. If he decides to take my offer I'll go pick it up, otherwise another bike will come along and I'll figure out how to fit it into the stable.

Back