Will the gap be the same

Jmann8686

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
just got my piston and cylinders back from being bored out to 700. Will the gap on the rings be the same as in the Haynes manual.

So the ring in the picture below has a .008 gap. Is this the top ring or the bottom ring. Both rings fit in both slots of the pistons

IMG_8651.jpg

and the picture below is the other ring and it has a gap of .012. Should i make the gap the same on both rings. Or because they are both in spec technically should i leave them alone.

IMG_8653.jpg

Thanks

The ring in the 1st pic is the top. The darker ring is the 2nd the markings go up The standard Per JE is .004 per inch of bore. .012 min. .008 is to tight.

IMG_8657.JPG
The ring in the 1st pic is the top. The darker ring is the 2nd the markings go up The standard Per JE is .004 per inch of bore. .012 min. .008 is to tight.[/QUOTE/]
so they are both at .013. And trying to install the rings the alignment of the rings on the pistons I have two separate pics. One from a XS manual and one from JE they are different. Do I follow the JE due to them
Being from JE.

I would always go with the MFG of the product you buy. That is why the MFG sends out the set up/ spec. sheets. with there product not because they have nothing better to do.

Back