Will this regulator work on my '78?

I don't agree that the stock regulators were junk or that they are necessarily need to be replaced. I did it just to see. Not because mine was bad.

Yes, the VR-115 works very well on the 1970 to1979 engines, using the stock alternator.
The stock regulator was acceptable as a regulator, but the mechanical relay contacts and springs go out of calibration after many years, so it loses its precision.

The other item that needs replacement is the rectifier. Its of an old design, and causes extra voltage drop, which robs the charging system. Good replacements, such as a
3 phase rectifier, are available on E-bay, and are inexpensive.

The stock alternator is a high quality, reliable alternator.

Yes, the VR-115 works very well on the 1970 to1979 engines, using the stock alternator.
The stock regulator was acceptable as a regulator, but the mechanical relay contacts and springs go out of calibration after many years, so it loses its precision.

The other item that needs replacement is the rectifier. Its of an old design, and causes extra voltage drop, which robs the charging system. Good replacements, such as a
3 phase rectifier, are available on E-bay, and are inexpensive.

The stock alternator is a high quality, reliable alternator.

Thank you for the reply!

Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/1000V-Phase-D...pebp=1437076372362&perid=0YSCYD68P68VYAT1H5EN

Yes, a 35A would be fine. Yes, the 25A ones don't seem to be that common. You'll want and need a heat sink when you mount it as they get pretty hot in operation. You can make one up yourself or purchase a rectifier with one already attached like this .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SQLF30A-Alu...ase-5-Terminals-Diode-30A-1200V-/151314178350

I used a plain one and made my heat sink from an old compter CPU heat sink .....

Rect6.jpg

Rect.jpg

I wonder if I can find one locally... All of them on ebay don't have a delivery date until August. Think Napa or something similar would carry these?

Went ahead and purchased the one from ebay. I'll just use the stock charging system until it gets here. Couldn't find anything cheap locally or on Amazon.

Back