Trade - Will trade any Website/IT work for welding services please! - RI area

MAndrade1980

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been on this site for quite a while, and just can't get enough of it. Running into a huge issue with my 81 XS650 where I just have no time to work on it and I am getting stuck getting brackets and such welded onto it, and just don't have the time to learn to weld. I got it hard-tailed, but that's about all the welding that was done.

What I am really good at is all IT-related. I've been in the business for over 10 years. Website builds, software programming, custom PC builds, PC troubleshooting, etc. If there is anyone who might be in need of a website or any of the above services who would be willing to trade some help getting things (already purchased) welded onto my 81 XS650, fender, solo seat, peanut tank, brake pivot kit. I can provide pictures to anyone remotely interested. I can also deliver the bike to be worked on when needed.

My only other realistic option is selling all of the pieces I have and buying a new bike, which literally makes my stomach turn. I know I wouldn't get enough from parting it to buy a complete XS650 bobber, and I couldn't imagine financing a new bike (Harley, etc). Can't even stand the look of the newer bikes on the market today. I've been in love with these XS650's for so long, very disappointed that I can't devote as much time and money into the fab work. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Not trying to have someone else do all the work and gloat about my bobber build, trust me guys. Just want something to ride, no frills, bobber to cruise around and clear my head!

Thanks guys,

Marco

Last edited:
Hey MAndrade,

There's a few of us from RI, I can't speak for anyone else but there should be somebody close by that can help. It's a pretty small state so you shouldn't have to go far. The guys at Razee Motorcycle told me of a Wickford XS650 aficionado that works on these machines, you might want to start there.

Thanks for the quick reply! I was just hoping to utilize my IT skills to not have to dish out a few hundred bucks to get these things welded on then spend more money adding the remaining odds and ends to get it rideable. The thing will pretty much wait in the shed for a while until I can get someone willing to help me out for a few beers, lol. Not that I'm broke or cheap, just don't have much money to throw at a build right now. Hopefully use my IT skills to help someone out and get some help in return. Love that there are several New Englander's on this site.

The "Wickford aficionado" spoken of is Don Mason, a machinist who has a shop at the Wickford Boatyard. His primary business is specialty marine machinework, not welding, but he is a fount of XS650 knowledge and enthusiasm, and definitely a guy worth talking to. You can catch him at 401-265-8665.

Be advised that he is a rather legendary character; a hard-living pipe-smoking curmudgeon who has never (and probably never will) use a computer... Certainly no chance of trading IT work for motorcycle work there, but completely worth a pilgrimage to his shop.

You should give a metal shop a try, no need for an XS guru to weld tabs, just make friends with some guys at your local fab place.

I've also bartered for welding. While these might not apply in all circumstances, I've found that there's a few things that really help when you're trying to get a few odd welding jobs done on the cheap.

Try to find a shop where they're into bikes, projects, odd or unusual work, etc. Production welding can be a really grind (sorta a pun), and many true craftsmen will be drawn to helping you out when it's something interesting or unusual.

Do all your own fitting and prep, and make it as perfect as you can. If the piece you need welded is perfectly clean and sharply scribed to fit, you'll save the welder all sorts of frustration. If the welder, material, and/or process requires a particular bevel for penetration, find out what is is ahead of time. Clamp and/or fixture parts as accurately as possible.

Don't rely on the welder to design things for you. Saying, "It kinda needs to go on here something like this... It doesn't really matter; just do it however you think is best..." generally leads to mutual frustration. Of course, you may end up designing something that is very difficult to weld, or that may not be strong enough. In that case, having a very firm and deliberate end result in mind will ease communication. "I think I need something on here to bolt the brake thing to..." is vague. Think instead, "This fitted tab must be welded on this scribed line, in order for the brake stay to be aligned with the caliper bracket.".

This kind of lead-in work will, at very least, save you a bunch of billable time. It also shows to the welder that you're serious in working with them, especially when you have skills to trade.

Back