Wire gauge

queenslegs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of rewiring the bike and I'm looking at the red/white wire out of the fuse box -> kill switch -> coils -> starter solenoid via safety relay. Stock wire looks about 18 gauge. With stock coils wouldn't this have to carry about 6 amps? (4 ohm coils, 100% duty cycle which I know is not quite right, but worst case) Is 18 gauge sufficient or should I drop down to 16 gauge ( no 16g red/white though :( )

Hi queenslegs,
mfrs build new bikes using the skinniest wire they can theoretically get away with because it saves them a few pennies per unit.
Fatter wires are better on old bikes worked on by their owners , eh?
If you can't find red/white wire use red wire and put short lengths of white shrink sleeve along it.

So I'm in the process of rewiring the bike and I'm looking at the red/white wire out of the fuse box -> kill switch -> coils -> starter solenoid via safety relay. Stock wire looks about 18 gauge. With stock coils wouldn't this have to carry about 6 amps? (4 ohm coils, 100% duty cycle which I know is not quite right, but worst case) Is 18 gauge sufficient or should I drop down to 16 gauge ( no 16g red/white though :( )

No, the red/white wire to the coil(s), carries less than 2 amps. The stock 18 gauge wire gets the job done, but I recommend you use 16 gauge for replacement.

Back