Wire harness

takehikes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Mikes has the European harness on sale right now, part number 24-6596.
I have an 81 Special and think this harness would be perfect as it doesn’t have the blinker cancel or light checker which is like to get rid of. Think it will work or are there other differences? My harness is tired so thinking about doing it.

Is that Euro harness for a points model or electronic ignition model? For your '81, you would need the latter.

Hi! I'm new here and also starting work on an '81 Special II. Did you find out if this harness worked for you or were modifications necessary? Needing a new harness for my bike and was pondering ordering the European one on Mikes XS too.

I never got enough info to be sure it would work. So I’ll wait for the 81 harness to be available and cut out what I don’t need.

Ah, thanks for the update! I'll keep an eye out for info and options too and post if I find anything that works. Might look into spot restoring/rebuilding in the meantime.

I just took a look at that Euro harness on Mike's and since it fits back to a '77 model, my best guess is that it's for a points ignition model. It would take some major modding to fit it up to your electronic ignition models. In my opinion, not worth the effort because you wouldn't gain (eliminate) much. You mentioned wanting to eliminate the light checker. The '81 model already did that stock. About the only addition to the '81 vs. the '80 was the clutch safety switch and relay. So, the '80 SG harness may be a viable alternative for you guys. It also has no light checker but also no clutch safety switch and relay wiring. You wouldn't want the '80 SPII harness. It still has the light checker and is also only set up for the single tail light.

Back