Wiring 82 J

Brian

XS650 Member
Reaction score
first of all I've been on the site since I started restoring my bike and have to say that you guys have been incredibly. I have gotten a lot of great information from reading through the forums and tech section. I found the specific model of my bike and have been looking to simplify the wiring on my bike since I have removed the starter entirely since I have bought and installed the PAMCO ignition with the high output coil. I was hoping if you guys could help me out with the electrical a bit and let me know if everything looks good or not. I'm assuming that the third wire coming from the original will not exist anymore since I am running the flasher relay from mikes which doesn't have the cancellation in it. Am I right in assuming that the left over wire from the headlight fuse needs to tie into the yellow wire of the headlight?

This may be a totally rookie question but as you'll notice I removed the relays from the diagram. I've been discussing the issue with a friend and after reading through the forums I've gotten the impression that I can remove the relays if I make the new wiring harness with 14 gauge wire as it can handle the current.

I posted the original diagram as a reference so that you guys don't need to chase it down.

1982_xs650j.jpg

Here's the one I've modified:
1982_xs650j-help.jpg

The only relay that is there for current is the starter one. The lighting relay and lockout relays are there to determine the operation. They can all be bypassed if you choose to do it. There are no fewer than one billion wiring diagrams floating around that take the totally stripped approach.
(since you're talking about making a new harness)

Last edited:
I went back and have spent hours looking over my wiring diagram and trying to find the mistakes I had made and am confident in everything but the headlight. I also put in a 6 fuse fuse block that I picked up from Autozone to separate the brake light, horn/neutral and turn signals.

The only thing that I'm stumped on and I'm sure is pretty simple is the left handlebar switch, specifically the Headlight Hi/Lo switch and the fuse for the headlight. I can't figure out if it's the L|Y wire that should be hooked up to the fuse or if it should be the L|G. I'm also thinking that which ever isn't hooked up to the fuse needs to be hooked up to the Blue wire so that I have a running headlight when the ignition is on. I tied of the Y|R wire coming from the switch since the turn signal cancellation unit has been removed. I believe I'm correct that it can be capped off. I would really appreciate a response. Thank you.

Attachments

• xs650J.jpg
    xs650J.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 201
I'm sure the headlight fuse is before the hi/lo sw., so that the switch is fused and only one fuse is used. Also, I don't think you really want both filaments on at once. I don't know what yellow wire you mean but you have good schematics so what you need to do with it to get what you want should be pretty obvious.

The red/yellow from the headlight fuse should hook to the Blue/yellow at the dimmer switch. The only wires on the dimmer switch you need are the yellow, dark green and the blue/yellow. Power in on the blue/yellow, out on the yellow and dark green. The green/blue and yellow/blue are used with the reserve lighting unit.
On the yellow wires after the dimmer switch you have it feed the high beam and high beam indicater light. Thats correct you don't want it to hook anywhere else.
The only problem with this set up is the headlight will be on anytime the key switch is on.
I might get a right side switch from an earlier model with a headlight on/off switch. Like Mike's #24-2059. You might get one cheaper on Ebay or from someone on here. Or add a toggle switch somewhere between the headlight fuse and dimmer switch. This will allow you to turn the headlight off when starting. Then when running you can turn on the headlight. You are kickstart only so maybe it won't be a problem.
Leo

Thanks Leo,
I think I might just wire in a simple toggle switch somewhere near my battery box. I start wiring it up tomorrow and hope that I can get it fired up and running by the end of the week. I know I have to get back and read the carb section to make sure it's jetted right and have the mix screw and floats set right but am excited and hope to have it finished soon.

Back