Wiring a 4 Point Ignition Switch with a Pamco (Bike's been decomish for weeks)

Leejin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a Stock Charging system, with a Pamco and starter.

This is the closest diagram I could find, but I can't figure out how to wire the 4-Point Ignition.
wiring.jpg

Here is a similar 4 Point Ignition Switch I'm using. So it's like a car/boat.. It turns once to "On", then turn past to start, release it goes back to "On".

My trouble is; It will only turn over in between the "On" position.

I have the brown wire from the regulator going to a fuse box, where I have a 7.5A Fuse going to the pamco, and the coil.

Any help would be great.

Thanks again.

Leejin,

Well, you may want to give some serious thought to using a four position ignition switch on a motorcycle. It's cool when you are just sitting there and you casually reach down to start the engine, but in traffic on a slight slope when the engine stalls just as you are making a left turn in front of a beer truck, not so cool. Like, what do you do?

1. Take your hand off of the right side brake and throttle? :eek:
2. Take your hand off the left side clutch with the bike in gear? :eek:
3. Push the bike across the intersection in front of the beer truck? :yikes:

Hope you like beer because you are going to get a bath in the stuff! :doh:

Last edited:
Leejin,

Well, you may want to give some serious thought to using a four position ignition switch on a motorcycle. It's cool when you are just sitting there and you casually reach down to start the engine, but in traffic on a slight slope when the engine stalls just as you are making a left turn in front of a beer truck, not so cool. Like, what do you do?

I agree with this 100%
the coolness factor doesn't out weight the beer truck

Leejin,

I agree with this 100%
the coolness factor doesn't out weight the beer truck

Haha.. Thanks guys.. I agree, but the PO did it.. I'm just trying to get it running. I have no hand controls. Meh...

So.. I did a quick 5 minute edit to show how I have my ignition hooked up.. i have no idea if it's correct or not.
swbJNPg.jpg

Not sure of the Pamco needs to be installed to the IGN or the fuse box (Which is from the ACC)

Thank you so much to anyone trying to help. I'd love to try and do this myself before just handing it over to a professional.

Well, most ignition switches of that type turn off the accessories when starting and you have the ignition coming off of the fuse block which is powered by the accessory terminal on the switch. Run a wire through a separate inline fuse from the ign terminal on the switch to the PAMCO and coil. Also, run the regulator to the fuse on the fuse block. Good luck with the beer truck.:thumbsup:..I hope it's your brand...:D...because you're gonna be swimming in it...:doh:

four way sw.jpg

Last edited:
Bringing this back to life...

With this type of ignition switch and a fuse box, could you run the power to fuse box with a wire from the ign terminal on the switch to the main power connection of the fuse box?

Then also connect the accessories to fuse box?

So I just hooked everything up the way I described in my last post, and the engine started great but would not shut off when I turned the key to off or even when I completely removed the key. I was trying to avoid using another in line fuse (not sure why), but I'm thinking an in-line fuse for the ignition or to add in a kill switch are my 2 options. Am I correct?

What type of ignition switch are you using? If you are using a car switch you have three connections Battery / Starter / ignition
Battery is just that wire from battery to switch no fuse needed
Starter is wire from switch to positive of starter and when you turn key motor turns
Ignition I use to go to fuse block and then fuse off from there for your LIGHTS / PAMCO / STATOR / BRAKE SWITCHES / HORN / TURN SIGNALS
Pictures help of what you are doing too

Back