wiring for chopper using stock throttle housing

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
Hi guys, was wondering if someone could possibly look at this re-working I have done of one of the diagrams that's in the big "some wiring diagrams" thread?

I've deleted a bunch of stuff.

The parts I'm most concerned with are the connections from key switch to throttle housing to starter solenoid.

I have it working now in a more haphazard way, but have decided to use the stock starter button and throttle housing after all.

My main question is about the wire marked with arrow. How would that tie in with starter button and the wires that come off throttle housing. Throttle housing has 3 wires. I guess one is for power in, on is kill out and one is out to starter solenoid ?
but then the one marked "to key switch"...where does that connect? can it connect to blue or brown wire that comes out of key switch?

thanks!

full

or! is the "other wire" also part of the circuit to starter solenoid?

main mystery is the 3 wires that come off right housing. One is for kill switch, so let's forget that one for now.

Do the other 2 BOTH run back to starter solenoid and activate it by pushing button to touch to (supposedly) grounded bars, completing the circuit? so those 2 wires are basically a big loop coming forward from solenoid? and the loop gets "connected" when button touches "ground" (aka metal of bar)?

Your engine stop switch to ignition is fine.
The red/white wire with the arrow goes to power after the switch. You can hook it to the Wire from the engine stop switch to the ignition, this way the starter will only work when the engine stop switch is in the run position.
Or you can hook it to anywhere you get power with the key on.
A quick run down on the start relay and how it works may be in order.
Power goes to the relay on the red/white wire. From the relay on the blue/white wire to the start button. When you press the start button this grounds the blue/white wire, completing the circuit. This energizes the relay, closing the contacts.
The contacts connect the cable from the battery to the cable going to the starter. This sends full battery power to the starter.
Leo

Ok so now I got it to activate starter solenoid (and starter) from button on throttle housing, instead of from big dangling momentary switch/button.

Works great! I must have a hellified "accidental" ground through my bars somehow. Worked even before I fully snugged the screws to housing.

However, I don't have it tied in to coil wiring yet, so the kill switch does nothing.

Am going to wait for some better connectors to arrive so I can have what I need to do a neater (and stronger) job on that part. Don't want to compromise my coil connections at this point.

Some people like to be able to crank the starter with out firing the ignition. Like when doing compression tests. So wiring it either way works
I like the starter to work just with the engine stop switch in the run position. Knowing myself If it can crank with the engine stop switch in the off position i'll forget to turn it to run and crank the battery flat and spend a hour checking everything else before I realize the switch was off.
Leo

Back