Wiring Harness for a 1978 XS650

Didn't actually see a date just the xs650 SE.

Coming from Ireland you need to identify the bike by the vin no. It will be on the Vin plate/sticker on the head-stock and stamped on the head-stock as well. This behind the headlight and a matching # should be on the front of the engine to the left of the oil tube, going to the head, when looking at the engine from the front.................If you have the Euro US Custom it will be different to the US models. The Euro US Custom never got the Factory TCI ignition, points only, that is why your safety relay is a short fat one, same as in post #6.

On the left bar switch you should have a Pass/flash switch as well. US models never got this...............Pic from my 80SG Oceania model. We also never got the Factory Electronic ignition, (TCI).............. Points only. Need a condenser pack on points bikes

P1030208 resixe copyright text.jpg

Last edited:
Put this together, from the Manual, with the Component key for the 79SE 3L1-000101 and on UK, wiring diagram.

UK models also have 4 wires and an extra key position for Park, in the ignition Switch, + the on/off light switch on right bar switch a well as left bar switch as in the post above.

XS650SE UK Model copyright.Lighst.11.jpg

Last edited:
The "brass box" is the earlier version of the double safety relay with two relays under one single large cover. I saw the pics of yours in your thread. That's a later style with individual, separate covers on the two relays. Are you sure your bike is a '78 model? Do you have the headlight on-off switch on your right handlebar control? .....

View attachment 251785
yes. same switch as pic.

Coming from Ireland you need to identify the bike by the vin no. It will be on the Vin plate/sticker on the head-stock and stamped on the head-stock as well. This behind the headlight and a matching # should be on the front of the engine to the left of the oil tube, going to the head, when looking at the engine from the front.................If you have the Euro US Custom it will be different to the US models. The Euro US Custom never got the Factory TCI ignition, points only, that is why your safety relay is a short fat one, same as in post #6.

On the left bar switch you should have a Pass/flash switch as well. US models never got this...............Pic from my 80SG Oceania model. We also never got the Factory Electronic ignition, (TCI).............. Points only. Need a condenser pack on points bikes

View attachment 251815
yes have headlight on off switch on right handlebar,has pass switch on the left bar also.

View attachment 251815
IMG_20230922_154353.jpg
IMG_20230922_153752.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_153719.jpg
    IMG_20230922_153719.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 24
UK/Euro 79SE 3L1-******.

Finished the wiring diagram. @Jan_P , gotta worm bugging me in my mind thinking the 3L1 has a single fuse and not the glass bank of 4. Could you check and confirm the fuse/s.

@yam-a-ha post some pics of the bike. Haven't had many, if any at all, of the Early 3L1's on the site before
has a bank of 4 fuses. will post pics.

UK/Euro 79SE 3L1-******.

Finished the wiring diagram. @Jan_P , gotta worm bugging me in my mind thinking the 3L1 has a single fuse and not the glass bank of 4. Could you check and confirm the fuse/s.

@yam-a-ha post some pics of the bike. Haven't had many, if any at all, of the Early 3L1's on the site before

Sir
4 glass fuses on both mine was sold as 80 models .But I believe manufactured 1979

--3L1-0240** ---
--3L1-0209** ---

Have hand written note with a pencil from many years back not sure if Right saying
XS 650 SE 79-80 maybe also SG
in the vehicle title it is Se Yamaha 3l1 Xs 650Se
4G7
3L1-020101 ---040000

Back