wiring question - again...

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
Folks,

Hopefully this is the last electrical question. (yeah right)!

I bought one of those universal starter/kill switch buttons, like this:
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mjZm-0APHn67FvdaXliWRug/140.jpg

It has two wires labeled as starter push (gonna be my horn): blue/white & black
and two wires labeled as run/kill: red/black & red/white

How should the wires be connected? According to the wiring diagrams I am reading, only the pink wire from the horn would be connected to one of the wires coming off the switch (which one?).

The kill switch should be wired in between the coil and the fuse black, right? If so, which wires should I use from that pair? All the diagrams I have seen show one wire making that connection.

It's fair to say I am new to wiring and fairly confused!!!! Thanks in advance!

The horn must ground through the stock switch. If you take one of the wires from your new switch and connect to the horn wire from the bike, then take the other wire from your switch and ground it . . it should operate correctly.Wire your kill switch the same way, one to your wire from the bike and one top ground.The momentary switch grounds the ignition system to kill it.

The kill switch does not get connected to a ground.

If your kill switch has 2 wires red/black and red/white....................connect one wire to the fuse that supplies power, connect the other wire to coil.

The horn must ground through the stock switch. If you take one of the wires from your new switch and connect to the horn wire from the bike, then take the other wire from your switch and ground it . .

it should operate correctly.Wire your kill switch the same way, one to your wire from the bike and one top ground.The momentary switch grounds the ignition system to kill it.

I thought the nub on the switch grounded to the handlebar? Hence - no need to ground with a wire. Is that incorrect?

Back