wiring starter

boubou63

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 72 with no wiring for the starter ( no button on left handle etc ) and i have a starter on the motor that i have rebuilt
What i want for it ?
Tanks

The 72 didn't use a button for the starter. Under the right side controls housing is a lever. You pull this lever. As you pull the lever it engages the decompressor on the left side cylinder valve adjustment cover. Once the decompressor is activated the lever then contacts a switch that engages the starter.
If you have this lever then clean it up and uses it. If not there are some wires that come up to the switch in the lever housing. According to the diagrams I have they are blue/white wires. Power from the safety relay come up to the switch. When the switch closes it sends power out to the starter relay. If you want you can unhook them from that switch and hook these wires to any momentary switch that has two terminals. It won't matter which wire hooks to which terminal. Mount the switch where ever handy.
There are a few test you can do. On the heavy cable from the starter to the starter relay.
Use jumper cables from a spare battery, I use a spare car battery for this, hook the jumper cables to the battery, hook the black to a good frame ground. I use a foot peg mount nut.
I put a large screw driver in the red cable clamp. Use this as a test probe. Touch this probe to the end of the cable from the starter where it hooks to the starter relay. This should crank the engine.
Now unhook the jumper cables. On the starter relay unplug the two small wires. I think they are both blue/white. Use a small jumper wire and hook one of those small wires to ground. Jumper from the other to battery positive. This will trip the relay and should crank the engine. At this point you know the starter will crank the engine.
On the starter relay, one of those small wires that comes out of the harness should go to ground, the other should have battery voltage when the starter switch is activated.
If so plug thing back in. Now try the starter lever or the new start button as described before. It should crank the engine.
Leo
Leo

Back