Wiring this bike is making me crosseyed

Blatablatblau

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hows everyone doin, glad to finally be a part of this forum. Been lurking on this site and craigslist for nearly 5 months and im finally starting my first build. I purchased a 1977 xs650D bobber project with a title, a tc bros hardtail along with a seat and drag bars all for a 1000 dollars, the bike has 32000 miles on it. The motor is mounted on the frame and thats about it. The bike ran before it was taken apart so i thought this was the best purchase id be able to find near NJ. My friend is a mechanic and said to get the motor running first and based on the outcome continue your build. So in order to start this bike i guess i gotta learn the wiring.
Ive been studying the wiring diagrams and all parts included but Im wondering does anyone know the specific wiring diagram for a 1977xs650D???particularly a simplified one??? It does not have pamco ignition and i plan on running signals, headlights, and brakelights.

this bike also has a starter motor so if theres any advise on bench testing this motor and making my life simpler it would be greatly appreciated!

Ive been riding/working on dirtbikes for a long time along with working on small 2cycle engines, i think i overlooked the difficulty in building a bobber but i dont mind one bit, its awesome.

-Andrew

I am in south jersey and can help you out. I make up harnesses for bikes or you can bring bike and I will show you how to wire. Only be in NJ for the next two weeks then will be back in Feb 2014 for three weeks then be back at garage in April 2014.. I have done many harnesses for guys on here. If you want to learn and not be afraid of getting dirty I will teach you. PM me if interested. My garage is off of exit 4 GARDEN STATE PARKWAY. Go to you tube and you will see ones done.
DADDYG

Welcome to the site.
DaddYG is a very cool Brother!
He knows his stuff, If you pass up his offer If would be a big mistake.
He also knows perdy much everything about these bikes, Probably everything.

I like this diagram. It shows a very basic points set up. It has the later TCI ignition and Combo reg/rec in boxes. Just swap the boxes to match what you have. The e-start is in the upper right corner.
To just hear it run, look in the center of the diagram. you see a box with the ignition I it, the coils points and such. Hook up just this much of the wiring, Where it shows power coming into the box from the engine stop switch just hook this to the positive of a battery, A kill switch inline won't hurt. Run a wire from under an engine mount bolt to the battery negative for ground. This will let you run the engine by kick starting.
Once you get it to run then you can start adding the other wiring.
The alternator is the most important part of the electrical system. With out a properly working charging system the bike won't run long or well.
Get it to run and charge the battery and you will have most of your electrical problems cured before they become problems.
Once you get that far adding the other things like head/tail light, turns horn and such will be easy. Just add a fuse run the wire.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 85
To test your starter, use a set of jumper cables. Hook the cables to a good battery just as you would to jump start a car. The other end hook the ground cable to a clean bare metal spot on the frame, put a screwdriver in the hot clamp of the jumper cables.
Now on the starter peal back the rubber cover on the stud where the cable hooks to the starter. This lets you see the stud the cable hooks to, now touch the screwdriver to the stud. This should spin the starter and crank the engine over. It might just spin the starter, if it does just search this site for starter fixes. There is a weak spring on the gear set behind the clutch that let the gears not engage the crank.
Leo

perfect, thanks for the info all! XsLeo thanks man for makin it a little easier to understand. Ill most likely be using that diagram when wiring up my build. First time building a bike so hopefully i get this gurl cranking. My school semester ends next week, so when i finally get out ill be in my cave working on her around the clock. First thing im doing is taking your advise and using that diagram to get er runnin. Can I keep all aspects of the wiring harness attached when i do this? Or would you recommend disconnecting the ignition coils?

Figured id get her runnin first then afterwords ill start tackling system by system. Definitely trying to go for the old school slimmed down look. Definitely a sportster tank with some t bars, minimal attachments and whatever else catches my attention. Hopefully be riding in the spring

-Andrew

To just run the engine for a test run you can just wire the ignition. This will let you run the engine for most testing and tuning.
For most electrical testing you can just take the ignition fuse out. This will disable the ignition. Then you can test the rest of the electrical without worrying about the coils.
Leo

The wiring harness is a mess, colors faded, everything's everywhere...using the diagram you posted above can I make my own wiring harness for a 1977 xs650D using that as a template? I would make it the exact same way as it appears...I am about to buy the factory manual to get all the proper specs on everything, the clymer one is really general...before I buy the factory's manual do you know what gauge of wires I should go out and buy?and all other necessities? I can purchase everything tomorrow I'm just a little bit clueless at the moment of what to get, building the wiring harness doesn't seem difficult, I just need to know what to purchase. I feel like this is a good idea to rebuild one cuz half of the existing harness I won't even use, any help would be greatly appreciated
THANKS!
-Andrew

The wiring harness is a mess, colors faded, everything's everywhere...using the diagram you posted above can I make my own wiring harness for a 1977 xs650D using that as a template? I would make it the exact same way as it appears...I am about to buy the factory manual to get all the proper specs on everything, the clymer one is really general...before I buy the factory's manual do you know what gauge of wires I should go out and buy?and all other necessities? I can purchase everything tomorrow I'm just a little bit clueless at the moment of what to get, building the wiring harness doesn't seem difficult, I just need to know what to purchase. I feel like this is a good idea to rebuild one cuz half of the existing harness I won't even use, any help would be greatly appreciated
THANKS!
-Andrew

Yes, using that diagram as a basis for your harness will work fine. The most important part is the charging system. Get this wired right and half your problems won't exist.
Once you get that right adding the ignition, lighting and such is easy, just add a fuse run the wire.
On the large battery cables replace the stock 8 gauge cables with 6 gauge, this will spin the starter better. Running an extra cable right from one of the starter mount bolts to the battery negative helps too.
On the main power wire from the battery through a fuse to the main switch to a fuse block I use 14 gauge wire. From each fuse in the fuse block depends on the current draw of the circuit. Most things can use 16 or 18 gauge wire. On circuits that draw little current you can even go lighter. Like using LED lighting.
Generally thinner wire is more flexible than heavier wire. Higher quality wire is more flexible than cheap wire. This helps the wires resist vibrations.
I like to use wires that match the stock colors. This makes it easier to trouble shoot, especially when asking for help on here.
Mike's has connectors that match the stock ones. There are several other sites that sell connectors.
Leo

Back