WIRING VOODO!!!!

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
This is the VOODOO that most guys won't even try and its not a dieing art its a great way to make side money if you do it right and take your time.
I have been doing wiring harnesses since the early 70's and all bike are different but very close to the same. They all have to charge have lights and have electronics to run.
So let me give you the hint on how to do it and not have 100' of wire on the floor.
Take a stock xs650 harness and hook up your charging system to the harness on the bench. Now cut back all the tape and bullshit and you end up with 1/4 of your harness. YES there are going to be wires to cut to remove that section but they are 12 volts ground and blue neutral light Brown for charge and DONE!!! If you run TCI Black box coil and wire from ALT for pickup hook them up and cut away again DONE! Now you got the complete setup for charging and ignition THAT WAS EASY HUH!! Now you are half way there ...
Now the fun part LIGHTS/BRAKE LIGHT/STARTER/TURN SIGNALS/KILL SWITCH
Trick is lay out your parts on bench HEADLIGHT on the left TAIL/BRAKE on RIGHT STARTER SOLINOID and BRAKE SWITCH in middle. I make all my harnesses to run the ground BLACK to go to battery Ground ALL GROUNDS TOGETHER. I split up my 12 Volts into three fuses off STARTER SWITCH 1 for charging 1 for Coil/TCI 1 for lights
Lights blow all the time but I want to get home so if it blows you still can ride.
Now with your layout you need 3 wires for Headlight HIGH/LOW/GROUND 3 for tail light BRAKE/RUN/GROUND .... Headlight is easy 3 position switch center off (RADIO SHACK) just make sure you jump the 12V for tail light off switch. Tail light again 12V from light switch for tail ground back to battery and Brake light wire to brake light switch then the other side of brake switch to 12v DONE!!!
Starter solenoid 12volts from switch and ground other side hook heavy black wire to starter and other side goes to battery DONE!!! Horn install button 1 side to 12v to horn other side of horn Ground DONE!!!!
That wasn't hard do it in steps. When guys come to my garage and want to wire that's how I teach them and after bike fires up everyone says that was easy.
I just did a couple for guys and the one in picture has it all STARTER/LIGHTS/TURN SIGNALS/NEUTRAL LIGHT/HORN Complete and ready to install with plugs so you can take fake take off if you get into a problem.
Anyone that wants to do there own and wants to see a complete one on video email me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM won't load on here and its FREE to pick my BRAIN. I would like to see more young guys getting into the bare bones of wiring and engine building then just buy a done part. YOU YOUNG guys got too much time and money us old asses had to build and make things HAHA
KEEP CHOPPIN
Rich

Attachments

• 2013-06-27 08.11.48.jpg
    2013-06-27 08.11.48.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 2013-06-27 08.12.54.jpg
    2013-06-27 08.12.54.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 2013-06-27 08.13.04.jpg
    2013-06-27 08.13.04.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 2013-06-27 08.12.00.jpg
    2013-06-27 08.12.00.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 2013-06-27 08.13.20.jpg
    2013-06-27 08.13.20.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 178
Ok I'll say it thanks this info will help a lot of new builders!!!!I wish some one would have told me that 30 years ago when I was building street rods,again THANKS

The video I have just shows the final out come. Next one I do maybe I will do a step by step.
Thanks Guys I get emails all the time on wiring. IAMRETIRED!!!!!! HAHA
There are company's offering part of the harness but to some when you see it all together its overwhelming.
Anyone close and wants to learn I got to do two more this month. FREE TO LEARN....

def a good start for 12v rookies, my best results in the years i been wiring everything from aircooled beetles to shaved engine bay late model vw engine swaps, is start from the consumer and run back to the source. I run grounds in series to keep the wiring skinny, non isolated butt connecters soldered and heat shrinked. always draw a diagram of your final product for future reference if needed.

That's it ...A guy who wants to try and do it himself and learn is who this is for. There are guys who buy the $35.00 wire setup that is sold and not knocking it I use it in a pinch but its only 1/4 of what you got to do. I do a complete one for guys that just want to get done with Battery box fake tank and all the switches and its $250.00 now 1/2 of that ends up being parts. It takes a good straight 4 hours to do one and time is money. If some shop made up 10 simple ones and sold them for $100.00 each you just created a income 40 hours $1000.00 bucks. They would sell and they didn't need to be over the top LIGHTS/BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH/HORN/STARTER/and the ends for charging and ignition. No battery box or fake tank. This bike was done with a $10.00 keg of beer and they drank the bear HAHA

Attachments

• xs650 w springer.jpg
    xs650 w springer.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 238
Hell 250 I'd pay that all day not to have to wire it my self lol I'm thing of taking a ride up to c u with the bike ill bring beer and cash

Thanks for the info daddyg. I'm doing my first wiring job right now and every time I learn something I think yeah that should be simple. Then I get to it and get lost cause I'm scared to ruin stuff. Lol
I am actually doing my wiring in the direct sun three feet from a huge pissed off yellowjacket nest sweating my ass off right now. Lol
Maybe you could check out my post for help and see if you could offer any advice. I'm doing everything on this bike by myself so I don't get any other perspective anyone to keep me from breaking things. Lol

Hey man, I was actually going to PM you this week to ask you some advice on wiring an 81. I wired up my 77, but fried my less than one year old pamco while riding...i'm sure due to some poor wiring somewhere along the lines. Thanks for being so openly willing to help us out. I have 6 bikes i'm building/working on right now...started as a hobby, then turned into people calling and bringing their bikes asking for custom builds and repairs... 2 xs 650's a cb750, a cb900, a gsxr (simple repairs), and SL 175.....lol 4 of them are gonna need new harnesses so expect to hear from me a few times with questions.

P.S. I'm 21, still in school, working full time, and building bikes till midnight every night...life doesn't get much better ha....or exhausting...i'll take any help I can get! www.facebook.com/shoplogiccustoms

Thanks for taking the time to help others learn. I would like to see more "how to videos". I am sometimes amazed at the lack of videos on the 2 bikes I own a 79 FLH which by the way few shops will even work on and also not many how to videos on the XS. Now the Honda Goldwing, I can find videos on everything from an oil change to dropping the engine on that bike.
jefft

FENDERS!!!! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING FENDERS:wtf:
When I went to school the geeks could spell the cool guys had nice cars and bikes..
DON'T DRINK BEER never did DRUGS DUDE DRUGS
My problem on a video is I got no good camera only phone. So I am willing to put my old ass on video but got to get over that hump.
FACEBOOK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Sorry guy I don't do facebook don't want any old friends showing up at my door.
DID I SPELL EVERYTHING RIGHT TEACHER HAHA:laugh: By the way that bike sold for $6200.00 with NO FENDERS
Anyone who wants to get to me email me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM

I want to learn.

I have been working on my 81 Special the last few nights and I am getting it.

There is just alot of safety shit, that I am not sure what to cut and what not to cut.

Been following the wiring diagrams since almost day one.

It's go time now and this shit just got real.

lol

The PO, I believe had already started cutting and I have a few extra plugs it seems.

In Texas, so no blinkers necessary. Kick only. Head/Tail, kill switch, and horn.

That's all I need.

NO offense, but I don't follow you past hooking up to the charging system. I get that some stuff needs to be trimmed, but if I was working with a stock bike, I am positive I would get it.

I started at the front trying to find the headlight, ignition and turn signal wires and that is a mess. lol

Any future videos would help.

Thanks brother!

The video I have just shows the final out come. Next one I do maybe I will do a step by step.
Thanks Guys I get emails all the time on wiring. IAMRETIRED!!!!!! HAHA
There are company's offering part of the harness but to some when you see it all together its overwhelming.
Anyone close and wants to learn I got to do two more this month. FREE TO LEARN....

G'Day Daddy, I have decided to rip out all the old harness and redo the lot. I am pretty sure I am going to need to contact you with some questions without a doubt.

I am using an aluminium oil catch tank I was going to use on a car in the past, but have never gotten around to using. Im going to cut it up, build out the back of it, and house the fuse panel, battery, and Boyer Ignition module in there.

Figured it was easier to just redo the wiring so I know that its all sorted.

Ryan

The easy way to do a stock harness is hook up the plugs you got.
EXAMPLE 1981 xs650
You have two plugs off the ALT one from the TCI pickup and one for the charging
You have the TCI and the REG/REC and finally the coil.
If you hooked up all those and just started to cut all the tape off the wires you will end up with a BLACK/RED/BROWN/BLUE wire that have to be cut to remove the main wires from the old harness. Black are the grounds Red are the12volts Brown is for charging and Blue is you neutral wire. I have one set up that way on here in the parts for sale.
I will post a better picture for you guys. Now that said you just did your charging and electronics now all you got to do is lights.
Anyone that needs help just ask but contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM

Attachments

• 2013-07-22 12.14.28.jpg
    2013-07-22 12.14.28.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 287
So all of that is a stand alone wiring harness, that would only need to be plugged into the fuse box to run accessories?

The rest would run off of the fuse box as well, but the alt would be supply the power?

Sorry if I used the wrong terminology; electrician in training.

Yep that's enough to start bike and charge battery. The only thing missing in picture was a coil. In the diagram below what you see on the bench is the bottom half of the diagram.

Attachments

• 1981simplifiedwiringpart3.jpg
    1981simplifiedwiringpart3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 628
  • 2013-07-22 12.14.28.jpg
    2013-07-22 12.14.28.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 141
Back