wont crank unless using starter fluid

xscorex

Knives, Bats, New Tats
Reaction score
New build and dont know much about the motor but she runs and charges. But I cant kick it over unless I squirt in starter fluid. Even if Ive rode her awhile and she is warm. I know my jetting is off as ive got cheap pods and open pipes. But she runs halfway decnt. I just cant get her to crank. what should I look to first? Once i spray starter fluid shit roars to life with one kick

Ok, lets get your terminology right.
To crank means to turn the engine. To kick it means the same thing.
To start means that when you crank the engine it fires up and runs.
So what your saying is that no matter how you crank the engine it won't fire up and run without starting fluid. Correct?
If so your carbs are dirty. The enricher circuit and idle circuits are plugged.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help you id, tear down, clean, inspect, reassemble and tune your carbs.
Pay particular Attention to the enricher and idle circuit.
Leo

Thanks. Yes I meant it will not start without start fluid. Right now its kick only. before I chopped it would start with the electric starter but that was a few years ago and the carbs have been sitting in a box fOr a few years. The bike doesnt want to idle and will die out at stop lights if I dont keep her revved. I need to adjust my idle some. Ill start with that and see what happens

Any fuel left in the carb even setting in a box for a few years works the same as it does on a bike. The fuel evaporates leaving a varnish that plugs the tiny passages in the carb.
You need to tear them down and clean them.
The carb guide I linked has the how to. Just follow the steps. Use screwdrivers with tips that fit the screws very closely. Loose fitting screwdrivers strip out the slots. This is very important on the jets, don't want them buggered up.
Most of the parts will just need cleaning. Once clean you can inspect what you find, just replace what parts need replacing. Most carb kits only have a float bowl gasket that works, the rest maybe.
Leo

Back