Won't run with a capacitor but will with battery??

nooch

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bike was running good up until I stopped for gas, when I tried to start it I had no spark. I then did some searching and I found a wire came off my fuse panel and I'm assuming the wire that came loose arced on another fuse terminal and it damaged something. I checked for spark after reconnecting the wire to fuse panel and got nothing. I hooked a battery up to my capacitor and got the bike running but as soon as I unhooked the battery the popping and sputtering started and ran like crap I couldn't even rev it up. So I hooked up a battery and the bike runs fine. Bad capacitor or something else??

nooch,

Without a battery or working capacitor, the output from the regulator goes ape S%^& because it needs one of those to stabilize the voltage. What you are experiencing is the voltage going all over the place because the capacitor is not working. Either the capacitor is defective or it is not wired properly. Could be it is not grounded.

The other possibility is that the PMA or regulator is defective. You need to check the voltage on the capacitor and battery with the engine running at 3,000 RPM. If the voltage is high, like greater than 15 Volts, then fix it before all the electricals get fried.

Thx for the reply pamcopete, I'm pretty positive it is wired correctly, I didn't have any problems like this until that wire let go but I did notice I didn't have the best ground when running hooked to just a battery, so I fixed that. I will try the capacitor again with the good ground. With a good ground and the precious"not good" ground the battery seem to let it run normal. I will have to get my hands on a volt meter, or just go buy one to check the voltage. From what your telling me I think it is the capacitor. I will let you now how I make out probly won't get to the garage till later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again for the help!

Running it with a battery at 3000rpm I had a max reading on 13.8v at the terminals. Haven't tried with the capacitor yet but my guess it's shot, considering when i hooked a battery up to the capacitor it ran fine but without the battery it went crazy.

Back