wont run.....

brilamb2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok i have a that im currently rewiring, and just on a whim, i jusmped the ignition to try to fire it. It will start and run as long as it is full throttle, and when it does the rt bank blows black smoke. It wont idle, and doesnt run longer than 10 sec. I'm debating just buying a new carb set (VM34 from 650central) and if anybody can chime in on this thanks in advance. This is my first xs and first bike all together.

Do you have a manual? If not, get one. A good starting place is to check the compression on both cylinders. If the bike's been sitting for an extended period of time, take the carbs off and clean them thoroughly. Unless you just have the money to burn, I wouldn't start out buying a set of VMs. Rebuild kits for the stock carbs are pretty cheap, and if it's your first bike, you should keep things as simple as possible. check the points, make sure they are opening properly, gapped correctly, and in good condition. there are some good articles about adjusting and balancing carbs here on the forum, just do a search, no need for me to go over that.

good luck,

DLD1

im pretty good working on the vm carbs already, (multiple older skidoos) and know at least teh rt carb is locked up. The slide is locked, and it pours gas out on its own when sitting, so guessing the floats stuck too.

It sounds like your carbs are pretty gunked up. Replacement might be a good option. I understand what you mean about the VMs. I used to race small formula cars with snowmobile engines, so I had to play with them quite a lot myself. They are easier to get right than the CV carbs. If you do buy VMs for the XS, 650 Central is the right place.

DLD1

I agree with DLD1, keep it simple... check the points- timing- and spark first. Black smoke sounds like unburned gas to me, so if you are proficient with these carbs Rebuild them before you spend on new. Check out the sections on carbs and timing etc. here under tech, lots of great guidelines to get you started.

Good luck!

yeah im tore. i want to change to the vm's, but i also wanna keep it simple. anybody bought a set of the carb kits from 650 central? if i do keep them, im getting them prof. rebuilt, jsut for security, and i know a cpl guys at a local shop. I do know that the carbs are a problem, cause the rt one has the slide froze up

I've used the kits from Mikes XS with no problem, 650 Centrals are sure to be good also. Probably the tricky thing will be getting the slide free. If you soak it with marvel mystery oil, or one of the other good penetrating oils, you should be able to free it up. It's probably just dried fuel deposits. If you're familiar with VMs, rebuilding the CVs shouldn't be a problem for you. they are fairly simple, one of the most important things is to make sure all of the passageways are cleaned out well.

DLD1

Back