wrap exhaust

uknowme2goog

XS650,1980, Bobber
Reaction score
How much exhaust tape (wrap) would i need to cover a 3 foot exhaust pipe. I want to use 2 inch wide black tape. Some one told me 3 feet of tape for evey 1 foot of pipe with a 1/4" overlap. So, if i use that math, i need about 10 feet of tape for a 3 foot pipe...??? :banghead:

My 1 3/4" pipes used a little more than that but that sounds like a good start. Remember to wrap from the back of the pipe to the front, so your laps won't catch any wind or debris. The black tape will discolor pretty quickly also, mine lasted about three days of good riding before it was turning silver-ish in color.If you want it to stay nice and black do yourself a favor and buy some of the silicone header wrap paint, that will do the trick!

I want the tape to stay black...so i guess i better paint it...how long will the color last once painted?...do you know if any stores sell that paint, i see it for sale online...

I'm really not sure how long it'll stay really black, but have a riding buddy that swears by it. As far as where to buy some hands on, I'd try speed shops or maybe 4x4 specialty shops in your area. Personally I would just order it on E-bay or something because where I live you have to drive 45 min. for just about anything related to motorcycles, hell I have to have a friend send me my 60wt oil for my Sporty from Fl. , I live in Ma. and they have no clue that 60wt oil even exist's here, dumbass yankee's,haha! Good luck on your search.

where is a good cheap place to get the wrap? im looking for white
is it basically just fiberglass in a roll or is it different ?

Look on Evil-Bay, thats the cheapest place I've found it... And it is NOT just roll fiberglass, not sure if it's asbestos or what, but don't wrap your pipes with straight fiberglass, I think you would most definitely have a fire!

What's the benefit of wrapping the exhaust? I've seen this but never understood the function. Is there a functional benefit or is it a cosmetic fix for corroded pipes?

Just curious.

:smoke: The purpose for wrapping your pipes is that it supposedly holds the heat in the pipe more which is said to offer a power gain due to better flow... I personally like the look and it keeps the heat off my leg on hot riding days.The wrap has 100% lowered the operating temp of my motor by at least 5 degrees, which is a BIG plus to me anyday.

:smoke: The purpose for wrapping your pipes is that it supposedly holds the heat in the pipe more which is said to offer a power gain due to better flow... I personally like the look and it keeps the heat off my leg on hot riding days.The wrap has 100% lowered the operating temp of my motor by at least 5 degrees, which is a BIG plus to me anyday.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense to me. I was scratching my head before but now this seems interesting.

i got my black exhaust wrap from dime city cycles (www.dimecitycyles.com).....like $1.40 a foot plus shipping. They sell a top brand of exhust wrap. however,fleabay may be cheaper.

I had white wrap on my bike...within a few weeks it was yellowish..plus any dirt it very hard to get out....thats why i am changing over to black and spraying it...

you can get header wrap on amazon.com for around $1.50 a foot and cheaper. they have bundles with metal zip ties and the silicone spray.

Titanium exaust wrap is real good stuff. No. Its not made of titanium. Its got a kinda of golden silver color to it. I've got over 1000 miles on it and its the same color as day 1.

Posted via Mobile

It has been ahwile since I wrapped a pipe but I soaked the wrap in water before I wrapped it , A racer gave me that tip but I forget the reason.

It has been ahwile since I wrapped a pipe but I soaked the wrap in water before I wrapped it , A racer gave me that tip but I forget the reason.

It's so you can achieve a tighter wrap on the pipe. Also do not forget to start from the back of the pipe and wrap toward the front. That way your laps are not catching the wind...

Look on Evil-Bay, thats the cheapest place I've found it... And it is NOT just roll fiberglass, not sure if it's asbestos or what, but don't wrap your pipes with straight fiberglass, I think you would most definitely have a fire!

Really, so what have guys been packing mufflers with for all these years? Its my understanding that most header wrap is a fiberglass nomex blend, but I could be wrong. I am sure that anything you can buy currently isn't asbestos! Trust me - I work around SERIOUS heat, and fiberglass handles a lot more than you think!

Something to consider is where you're storing your bike, what your climate is, and what your pipes are made of. I've heard a few rusty pipe horror stories blamed on header wrap.

As I stated in a post after the one you picked to quote... It IS NOT just fiberglass, but a compound of a few things...vermiculite/fiberglass being the most popular.Which is pulverized Lava rock.They do manufacture the glass/nomex blends also, but those are truly very expensive. The reason I said to '79yam' that it was not just fiberglass is because I didn't want him to buy a roll of fiberglass matting and wrap his pipes with that, heat resistant or not, that would be a recipe for disaster.For the money a great mid level buy is: SI Insultherm™ Header Wrap. it's extremely high temperature resistant. Made from woven texturized amorphous silica filament yarn. Due to the yarn´s texturization, it can withstand temperatures up to 2000° F providing great insulating values. There is absolutely NO leached fiberglass in this stuff which makes it much more wear resistant and lasts about five times longer than the glass types.

Didn't really get that out of "also found out that the wrap is mostly made out of pulverized lava rock now". Perhaps I misread?

Anyway, I didn't want to start a flame war, the main point I wanted to get across was the rusting danger.

Back