wrap exhaust

No offence taken...I was just trying to help someone out with the information I had at the time (over a year ago). You are right, rusting is a concern when it comes to storage. If you ride the bike at all it shouldn't be a problem, the wrap will completely dry upon running the bike for a very short time. If you leave the bike sitting outside under a cover for a long period of time, I think that the pipes would rust as well as many other parts. Sitting long enough to rust pipes completely through is another story, and the pipes would be the least of my worries in the long run. Starting the bike once a month while in "dry" storage... and run it for a while after a "wet" ride or wash... and all should be well. If you leave your bike sitting exposed to the elements for a long time without running it well... you kinda deserve what happens, and hell those peoples bikes are what keeps me buying them to sell and part out.

When buying this exhaust wrap what brands or qualities should we be looking for? There is a lot of stuff online and a lot of different manufacturers. Something in Canada would be even better for me :)

There are advantages to wrapping pipes but if you'll look around you'll notice that most racers have switched from wrap to special paints as they are even better than wraps.

I suspect most pipes are wrapped as a cheap way to hide rust.

Also, any bike that gets wet will rust more quickly under the wrap. So if you're building a daily driver then you might not want to wrap.

I just ordered Black Wrap for my XS650. i will not be riding it in wet weather or anything but i do live on the CT shoreline. My headers are in good shape but i really want the wrap look. do you think this is a problem? or should i be fine?
And is the silicone paint really worth it? if i got the paint i would spray it when the wrap is already on the pipes correct? if not whats the best way to spray it?

Thank you

yeah i have heard that as well. but i would like to avoid painting the exhaust. my real question would be. if im not riding the bike in wet weather and i live on the CT shoreline, do you think the rust will be a real problem?

And 2nd whats the exact name of the type of paint i would need to KEEP the wrap black?

If i HAD to pain the exhaust.. iv heard painting chrome is very hard?
Thanks!

In the automotive word of headers it rots them out fast! The tubing cannot cope with all that heat trapped in and the tubes literally cook away. Now the OEM Yamaha headpipes are double wall pipe so this should not be an issue. However if one is running single wall head pipes such as a MAC exhaust heat will pose a longevity problem.

The rap on this stuff is that it will corrode pipes if they are not stainless. I guess, but I've had some on an exhaust crossover on my 3800 Fiero swap for 2 years and do not see a problem. I sprayed high temp black paint for BBQ grills and such on my Virago pipes, let it dry for an hour, then cured it by driving the bike at highway speeds so the airflow would help keep the temp down as it cooked on. It still looks like I just sprayed it on. I bet that stuff would not burn off your wrap.

Back