wrong carb

Brookside Cycles

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey All, I picked up my current XS from a guy who started the project but lost interest. The overall project is going well, but.....
I went and got the box with the carbs off the shelf to start rejecting them for my pod filters and open exhaust. They look like they have been cleaned before being boxed up. So I was confident this should be pretty straight forward. The problem I am having is when I opened the bowl to inspect the jet sizes.....
My main is a 122.5, now that Indicates that these are from a 76/77 if I am correct. I can't find any numbers on the carb itself to corroborate my theory.
So assuming they are from a 76, do I jet up from the stock 76 settings? Is there any draw backs to not having the right carbs? 20170212_155420.jpg

Yup a few pics, one looking in the intakes makes quick work of it. Any year XS650 carbs will work on any XS650 motor with the correct intakes and jetting. The linked sets are considered to be more "friendly".

A lot of these bikes don't have the carbs that came on them. Almost any year carb set can be made to work on most any year bike. Just have to use the correwct carb holders. Any carb adjustments go by the year of the carb setSome of us even run carbs from other bikes. The Kawasaki Ninja EX500 is getting to be a popu;ar set.
Leo

Yes, that is a '76-'77 carb set. Yes, base your re-jetting on what was stock for that set. But, be aware that since the mains were so small on that set, you may need to step them up 4 or 5 sizes. Most of the other sets can get away with less because they started out with bigger ones.

Thanks for the replies!
XSLEO how do you know when a different model's carb will work? I'd love to tap into other sources.

Thanks for the replies!
XSLEO how do you know when a different model's carb will work? I'd love to tap into other sources.

Hi Brookside,
there's been all manner of different carbs retrofitted onto XS650s, roundslides, flatsides, single-carb manifolds, whatever, and they've mostly worked OK.
Your carb set is merely from a different year XS650 and as posted will only need different jets.
And you'll know the carbs work when the bike runs nice.

Back