Wrong rebuild kit or extra parts?

dmgmn

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought two rebuild kits from Mikes XS for my 1975 xs 650 but the needle jet looks to be wrong. Also I have extra parts. I believe the brass part on the bottom goes in the bowl but I can't get the old one out and I don't have an "ez out". The jet on the right is the new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_20150523_160518376.jpg
    IMG_20150523_160518376.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20150523_152613065.jpg
    IMG_20150523_152613065.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 141
Yes, those kits as well as most kits don't have the right parts.
These carbs in several different configurations were usedon many different bikes. They all used different brass parts.
I as well as others reccomend following the steps in the carb guide to tear down, clean and inspect what you have. Once you do the inspection you will know what you need.
Once you figure out what you need then buy just what you need.
Usually you just need a float bowl gasket.
The needle is often a Y22, much to short. In your left pic the gasket is for the enrichener body. I seldom pull that body off for cleaning. So that gasket isn't needed.
the two washers, one goes on the float bowl drain plug, the other on the float valve.
The spring and the screw with a taperec end work together for thr idle mix. below the mix screw is the pilot jet. The other item is the main jet.
Pilots should be 45 stock, the mains 127.5.
I would use the parts you take out.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is the carb guide. Read it, print it out, read it.
Use it to rebuild your carbs.
Leo

woa there! cowboy. The brass part on the bottom, easy out???? put down the tools and step away from your carbs. Both the pilot and main jet are useful bits that have to be "right" if you expect the bike to run. So a buggered up old one HAS to come out. Properly fitted screw drivers and technique are essential to carb work. You may want to get your bowl to someone that has the touch and can get those parts out without ruining the bowl. Hint; you shouldn't use an easy-out on a jet. (or much else for that matter)

Back