WTB spoke wheels for my 81' xs650. Where to buy?

desmodromic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I recently took on a xs650 as a project. I would like to get a set of spoke wheels that will fit OEM spec for my 81' xs650 special and comes with 1 or 2 disc(s) front option and a rear disc. Anyone know any sites to buy from? I want a whole wheel. I do not want to assemble it myself. I prefer buying a new one vs one that has to be serviced.
Thanks

not possible without some work, either find stock spokers from a wrecker or e-gay or you have some machine work in regards to axle size, spacing, and brakes if you try to fit something else.

or you find the hubs, spokes, and hoops seperate.

I'm just going to buy the rear cast wheel with a disc. This bike is starting to be a bit of a hassle. lol. Do you know by any chance if a 78' XS650 rear wheel OEM #400280266438 will fit my axle/swing arm?

78 wheel will fit 81
Hassle? maybe you should sell it and buy a new bike, old bikes like these are always a "hassle".

To be clear there are no stock XS650 spoke disk brake rear wheels.
All XS650 rear wheels will fit if fabricating brake mounts and axle spacers is in your capabilities.

I have an '81 Special with 64 spokes front and rear, (rear drum) that i would trade for either ordinary spokes or mags, but i am in Canada near Toronto

78 wheel will fit 81
Hassle? maybe you should sell it and buy a new bike, old bikes like these are always a "hassle".

Nope. I am hell-bent on building this bike. By "always" do you mean they are not reliable or they just have a bunch of problems?

78 wheel will fit 81

Nope. I am hell-bent on building this bike. By "always" do you mean they are not reliable or they just have a bunch of problems?

I think he means they all need a little work and "sorting". Many led tough lives before we got them, lol. The XS650 community has come up with many little "fixes", tweaks, and mods over the years to help this old bike out. In basic, stock form, it's not bad but can be made much better. It's a "tinkerer's delight" if you're into that sort of thing. If not, best to buy a new bike.

I think he means they all need a little work and "sorting". Many led tough lives before we got them, lol. The XS650 community has come up with many little "fixes", tweaks, and mods over the years to help this old bike out. In basic, stock form, it's not bad but can be made much better. It's a "tinkerer's delight" if you're into that sort of thing. If not, best to buy a new bike.

Oh ok. Well I stripped mine, I am rebuilding the engine at the moment. I can't split my cases and its getting under my skin. lol

Why don't you just pick up a set of wire wheels off of the site in the classifieds? They'd be drum rear but unless you plan on driving like a wildman that braking setup should work fine for you. Otherwise I would think you could pick up anything used and have some axles modified to fit. Probably save a boatload over trying to buy something new and complete that would fit right on.

I am not sure if you ever been on a bike in NYC but you need good brakes. I got hit by a cab @ less than 20mph on my ktm and had several mayor injuries. I wear my gear too (full face, back protector, motocross boots, ect). I've gotten rear ended at red lights by idiot drivers not paying attention. Taxis here will do reckless things to get a fare. In general cars here do not respect bikes. You do at least 5 emergency stops in a 3 mile trip. It's horrible riding in NYC but its my way of getting around.

I live on long island and have a stock set w tires id be willing to sell...good condition..i got mags im gonna run instead...pm me if ur interested

Back