WTF now!!!!!!!!!!!

globalmaa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so i had this 78' running real nice all weekend . filled it with gas and now the left side isn't firing right. i thought it was the plug wire so i switch wires. not that!!!so i changed plugs not that!!! checked the fuel tee to make sure gas was coming out of both ends not that!!! pulled plug and touched cylinder and yeah it is firing not that!!! it is almost like there is no gas getting to the left cylinder . it pops and runs like crap and when i pulled right cylinder plug wire off when running the bike dies!! when i pull the left side it keeps running as if i didn't do anything. no sputter no change in idle. like no gas is even getting there. the plug is dry to. so who can enlighten me on this.

Posted via Mobile

Can you pull the plug out of the float bowl to see if gas is getting into the bowl? Needle and seat stuck?

i'll try that forgot to mention the only adjustment i made to carb was i move the needle jet from from the 4th position to the second position

Posted via MobileOk i just had to move the float bowl plug a little and gas started to come out . not a lot but a little. motor is still hot so i'm not about to undue to see how much just yet.

Last edited:
Another thing is you can run it with the petcock off until it dies, let it fill, and repeat a couple of times to try and free up a needle or dislodge some crud. A leaking needle can give way too rich, and cause your symptom. With a vacuum petcock you can disconnect the vacuum and plug the barb for an 'off'.

k this is a sportster tank with manual petcock and barbs on the vacuum lines. so i'm thinking it is a carb prob and not a engine or electrical prob. i hope!

Posted via Mobile

so anyone else got any ideas or should i just take the carbs and clean the hell out of them . I was thinking of replacing the jets 2 up on mains and 1 up on pilot. while i have it a part guess it would hurt to replace needle jets also.

If your bike was running fine before, why would you want to increase the jet sizes.?

Remove the left carb bowl, remove the pilot jet and unblock the orifice.

Does your bike sit for long periods with gas in it? Does the tank have rust in it? Do you use a fuel filter?

If your bike was running fine before, why would you want to increase the jet sizes.?

Remove the left carb bowl, remove the pilot jet and unblock the orifice.

Does your bike sit for long periods with gas in it? Does the tank have rust in it? Do you use a fuel filter?

The tank was just put on the bike and has no rust in it. The bike was running fine on the weekend until i had to fill it with gas. i'm running a filter on the petcock inside the tank and also an inline filter from the petcock to the TEE.
I'll take the float bowl off and see what is happening. i'll also check the fuel inlet to make sure there is no blockage. it definitly isn't getting any gas in the left cylinder or it would run without the left plug on. explains why when i pull the the right side plug the bike dies instantly cause it is only running on the right cylinder.

I was going to re jet because i'm running pods with stock exhaust and no baffles. the PO had drilled out the main to 2 sizes larger. Yes he has done this many times before with great results but you never know there is always a first.
thanks guys for all your help.

so here is where i'm at
when i adjusted the needle jet i was thinking does the jet and cylinder have to be in a certain location????
anyways
i took the float bowl off and pulled the float and needle out blew some compressed air and it ran good for 3 minutes then back to the same shit. not putting fuel to the cylinder. so i took carbs off cleaned them up and now might as well re jet. i'm running xs pods from mikes and i've blew out the baffles in the stock exhaust eventually i want to run drag pipes so i was thinking 140 main and 30 pilot jets i also moved the needle jet to the second position one leaner then stock.

Posted via Mobile

globalmaa;

You say you just took the float bowl off and only looked at the float valve. The float valve is not your problem area. No wonder nothing changed!

I suggested you remove the left float bowl, in order to remove the pilot jet from the bowl and then clean out the pilot jet orifice.

Back