WTF pictures

Hardly seems like worth the trouble for 60 hp, but I can see why with marginal trans...

I knew a fella longtimeago who ran in the 1940's..."Mother Sill's remedy" we were chatting flathead fords by a creek, 1973. He mentioned that there were a few very late production 110 hp. I beleive most were 90, and the little bitty early 60 hp ones, which I remember seeing in wrecking yards... Pity I didn't have a place to keep all the cool stuff that's went to the blastfurnaces of China and Korea... Mine was probably 90. Gave 35 dollars for the motor, 50 for the car. 3 on tree with OD. Life on another planet....
Those 60 H.P. flatheads were very popular as a midget powerplant in the 40's-50's. Also, FWIW, the V-8 60 uses the same rods and pistons as the Lincoln V-12, another engine that was considered anemic, even for it's time.

At a local ride,
flathead3.jpg
Don't know anything more than; I thought it was very cool to look at.

Hardly seems like worth the trouble for 60 hp, but I can see why with marginal trans...

I knew a fella longtimeago who ran in the 1940's..."Mother Sill's remedy" we were chatting flathead fords by a creek, 1973. He mentioned that there were a few very late production 110 hp. I beleive most were 90, and the little bitty early 60 hp ones, which I remember seeing in wrecking yards... Pity I didn't have a place to keep all the cool stuff that's went to the blastfurnaces of China and Korea... Mine was probably 90. Gave 35 dollars for the motor, 50 for the car. 3 on tree with OD. Life on another planet....
I know I had some fun tracking down this bike and actually finding out that physically smaller 60 HP flatheads even existed. I didn't know that until yesterday, and I'm a 65-year-old lifelong motorhead. Somehow that tidbit flew under my radar all this time. That engine is basically eight 7.5 HP lawnmower engines!

Last edited:
Wish I could remember some details but recall my dad talking about a guy, I believe in Minnesota, who had a flat head ford in a homebuilt motorcycle. That had to be back in the early 1940's as dad left home there to go in the service for WWII and never really went home. Seems a buddy of his in the Army had a girlfriend who was a WAC and this WAC had a younger sister who I grew up knowing as MOM!

I know I had some fun tracking down this bike and actually finding out that physically smaller 60 HP flatheads even existed. I didn't know that until yesterday, and I'm a 65-year-old motorhead. Somehow that tidbit flew under my radar all this time. That engine is basically eight 7.5 HP lawnmower engines!
My late father, a lifelong Ford guy, said that the V-8 60 was Ford's attempt to sell a car that, at least in theory, gave better fuel mileage during the depression. Dirt stock car racing in N. Fla. was mostly '38 and '39 Ford's that originally had 60's and had been converted to run the '49 and up engine in the early 50's according to him. He crewed and also drove them before he went to Korea.

Last performance by elephants Kelly and Viola at the Baraboo circus world museum was today.
elephants last dance.jpg

end of an era.
At 50 years old they are headed to a retirement home in Oklahoma.
Went down around the back the other night.
KIMG4406.JPG

Maybe it was time.

Bonus pics, inside the Al Ringling cuz it was too hot outside on the square for the Thursday night concert.
KIMG4423.JPG

KIMG4424.JPG

The band was Yid Vicious.

Last edited:
Good night Baraboo,
1693139473955.png

Earlier this summer I mentioned they've been restoring the courthouse clock, it's done. For the last 80 years it was painted white. During the restore they found the whole belfry was clad in copper and was intended to be left uncoated. It's weathering back to green.

Re: Ringling Brothers Circus
My father in law took my first two daughters to a RinglIng Brothers Circus in Philly many year ago to show them the grand spectacle. They were around five and seven years of age at the time.
Bringing them home afterwards, he was amusingly appalled that their highlight of the entire show was how big the elephant turds were.....

Last edited:
Re: Ringling Brothers Circus
My father in law took my first two daughters to a showin Philly many year ago to show them the grand spectacle. They were around five and seven years of age at the time.
Bringing them home afterwards, he was amusingly appalled that their highlight of the entire show was how big the elephant turds were.....
Well, yeah.

Last performance by elephants Kelly and Viola at the Baraboo circus world museum was today.
View attachment 250187

end of an era.
At 50 years old they are headed to a retirement home in Oklahoma.
Went down around the back the other night.
View attachment 250188
Maybe it was time.

Bonus pics, inside the Al Ringling cuz it was too hot outside on the square for the Thursday night concert.
View attachment 250190
View attachment 250191

The band was Yid Vicious.
We are so fortunate to have been recommended by Gary and Allison to take our first granddaughter for her first Elephant ride after our visit.2012.The elephant was “Nina”.A forever special memory.😍

Attachments

• 2EBE732D-32AC-456E-B3F6-317874E54788.png
    2EBE732D-32AC-456E-B3F6-317874E54788.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
Those elephant look old in the first pic. Happy retirement! I’m sure they won’t miss the bright lights and all the poking and prodding.
Before 1970, iirc... Well, longtimeago as the Indian said... I joined a traveling show. I stayed on the road with the show for a year, that year I turned 21. Mostly electrician, but that's all work, heavy cables thirsty diesels - the town girls who know they'll never see you again, and a few wild and adventurous enough to join the show, Chink and Nasty and Deloris the Witch, learned to drive a 4x4x3 behind a 220 Cummins. Yes, at 50, the elephants may not miss the lights and the people, but they're intelligent and thoughtful "people", just a different race - so I hope they have something to keep busy with, something to do... bingo night, lectures, nature walks...

Back