WTF pictures

1705259451718.png

Thank you for putting up these feats of canal engineering @Kevin Werner. We've been on the Falkirk Wheel, it's about seventy miles from here, so a day out. The wheel is at the same time amazing and pointless. You board the cruiser - bottom right - it chuffs into the bucket, the wheel revolves, lifting you up, the cruiser chuffs out on an altogether higher level of canal. For a short distance only, then the return. There is no commercial traffic, but as well as the cruiser, the wheel is perhaps used by a few private pleasure boats.

Meanwhile, another from Belgium, pointless on a much larger scale, is the sloping canal at Ronquieres. But a canal cannot slope, I hear you say? This was achieved by having huge caissons, analogous to locks on a ship canal, mounted on a sloping railway:

Ronquieres_aout_2021.jpg

As well as the Sart Bridge and the Ronquires slope, the Belgians have the World's tallest vertical boat elevator at Strépy-Thieu:

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Apparently, these expensive projects stem from European money being used to placate rival interests of Flemings and Walloons within Belgium.

Meanwhile, another from Belgium, pointless on a much larger scale, is the sloping canal at Ronquieres. But a canal cannot slope, I hear you say? This was achieved by having huge caissons, analogous to locks on a ship canal, mounted on a sloping railway:
I recall, when on a visit to a set of staircase locks on the Grand Union, seeing the remains of what used to a a boat lift inclined plane running in parallel.

PICT0927.JPG

Couldn't get as sharp a picture as I hoped, need a camera with adjustable exposure.

Gannet's bill - or to be more precise, lower mandible of Northern Gannet Morus bassanus.

World's largest breeding colony is on the Bass Rock (part of the Latin binomial) in the Forth Estuary about forty miles from here. Mrs found this on the beach at Ballantrae in Ayrshire. It's about 6 1/2 inches long.

It is truly amazing to watch these large birds fishing, they dive from a height of 100 - 150 feet almost vertically into the sea. Evolution* has given them a strengthened bill and skull.

* or intelligent design if you really must? :rolleyes:

Back