WTF pictures

1705587778267.png

In the old days airlines actually served FOOD on flights, complete with actual silverware with the airline logo on the handles. The silverware was smaller than standard in the coach or business cabins. The size was perfect for toddlers graduating from tiny little spoons. I always pocketed mine and our girls, now 30 and 32 ate with United, TWA, Midwest Express cutlry for years. Still have several.
1705673261677.png

In the old days airlines actually served FOOD on flights, complete with actual silverware with the airline logo on the handles. The silverware was smaller than standard in the coach or business cabins. The size was perfect for toddlers graduating from tiny little spoons. I always pocketed mine and our girls, now 30 and 32 ate with United, TWA, Midwest Express cutlry for years. Still have several.View attachment 260024
The food wasn’t particularly good unless you were sitting in First Class.

I remember "hot racks" and a pretty Stew asking chicken of fish. Then assembling a plate with three warm (meat, potato or rice, veggie), dinner roll and a cake or cookie. This was 76 to maybe 85-86 time frame. MidWest Express was really the best with the fresh baked (in flight) chocolate chip cookies that made the whole cabin smell like mom's kitchen.

Fresh Soviet Caviar en route...1963 The chow in first class NY to London was pretty fair. The food at the Dorchester sucked though. Limo over the Alps.. the rich yank guy tour. Me? I wanted a vespa... phuch the limo...and the schoolteachers on vacation were hot...and I was a cute kid. ;)

But to WTF pics> https://ia800702.us.archive.org/13/items/Playboy121964/Playboy 12 1964.pdf see page 13... new Honda... some cute girls too.

Here's one from now, not then, said to be collecting ballot signateurs...

Attachments

• 1705684040620.png
    1705684040620.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Fresh Soviet Caviar en route...1963 The chow in first class NY to London was pretty fair. The food at the Dorchester sucked though. Limo over the Alps.. the rich yank guy tour. Me? I wanted a vespa... phuch the limo...and the schoolteachers on vacation were hot...and I was a cute kid. ;)

But to WTF pics> https://ia800702.us.archive.org/13/items/Playboy121964/Playboy 12 1964.pdf see page 13... new Honda... some cute girls too.

Here's one from now, not then, said to be collecting ballot signateurs...
Page 15

Well, that Captain can kiss his career goodbye!
I noticed that the audio did not indicate the 3 toots of "I am going astern"..and there was no collision alarm.
Those boats (they are not proper ships), I have read, have very complicated electro-mechanical propulsion, batteries, electric drive motors, and some sort of engines, maybe GT or diesel... They are said to be unreliable, which, considering the complexity, sounds about right. And this complexity may account for the collision. Or, considering the ways of sailors, may provide an excuse for the sailors to stay out of the combat zone... Maybe both... For myself, I prefer not getting shot at...so I'd understand about possible "work to rule" forms of sabotage. Officers often create repressed aggression among the enlisted... They say Mountbatten managed to upset a few young fellows, privately... and of course he came to no good end... That's not a pun. I swear!

@40north

All true of course, but it doesn't matter. The Captain is responsible for anything that happens, even if he (she?) was asleep in his cabin.
I was in the Radar lab foreward of the hangar deck in the middle of the night when Coral Sea CV43 had a mid sea collision during flight ops. I disremember how we landed the F/A 18s that were in the air that night, not my paygrade. We had a long slow cruise back to Norfolk and the dry dock in Portsmouth for 6 months of repairs. I had bought a nice brass cased Zippo from ships stores with the CV43 Emblem engraved on one side and the other the important dates also engraved, Keel Laid, Commissioned, Decommissioned, Recommissioned. Typical Navy memorabilia. I bought 3 more from ships stores after the crash for the other three Hughes field engineers onboard. Once ashore I found a jewelry store and had them add to the Keel Laid, Commissioned, Decommissioned, Recommissioned list "Crashed 6 April 1985". The clerk, maybe a Navy wife, said you know someone is losing a command over this. I could only respond "that's above my paygrade. The other Hughes guys loved the lighters.
1705762727716.png

View attachment 260115
Bird's eye view of the Mighty Mac (Mackinaw Bridge)
Those kind of pics give me vertigo... If a cold snap continues, some of the Great Lakes may freeze over. On a side note, the Coast Guard and local Fire Departments and LE use this kind of weather to practice and perfect ice rescues including but not limited to "underwater" rescues.

Back