x pipes

40% is absurd. Nobody who built race twins in the '70s - including the Yam, Tri, BSA, HD, Duck, etc. factories used anything but a single pipe for each cylinder. Pipes are cheap to build and test ... you KNOW tuners tried every combo in their attempt to obtain an advantage. Some Ducati SS750s were raced with a cross over pipe behind the rear cylinder but you couldn't see a difference on the dyno.
Unless he is showing a back to back dyno run with all the variables controlled, conducted by a reputable tuning shop such as Vance & Hines, this is total BS.
Further, you can't add HP without pumping more air and fuel. With no changes to the combustion chamber and intake/carbs a claim like this flies in the face of physics.

Osteoderm seems to have less ground clearance than the system pictured in the add.
View attachment 21487

Addvertisement photo.
$(KGrHqF,!i0E+JJQ2Y3yBP6elF1B8Q~~60_12.jpg

Osteoderm seems to have less ground clearance than the system pictured in the add.

That bike (belonging to forum member ryan79) is mildly lowered and riding on low-profile 17" wheels/tires, so yes, there's not a ton of ground clearance! Setting aside anything else about these pipes, I don't suppose ground clearance would be a deal breaker on a stock(ish)-height bike.

That bike (belonging to forum member ryan79) is mildly lowered and riding on low-profile 17" wheels/tires, so yes, there's not a ton of ground clearance! Setting aside anything else about these pipes, I don't suppose ground clearance would be a deal breaker on a stock(ish)-height bike.

I think what I was trying to say was the pipes seem to hang lower on the bike you pictured than the bike pictured on their web site.

just got here.design looks good. BUT. very thin metal and painted with what looks to be bbq paint not hi temp paint (matter of fact in instructions it says to touch up with bbq paint) the headers and mufflers are the same guage,very thin.was going to heat wrap the headers eventully anyway but it looks as if ill have to just to make sure of getting any life out of them.welding ok but not preety.one good?thing they are very light, so another hold up now will have to wait to get some heat wrap before fitting. any ideas on painting hi temp paint over bbq paint?

any idea of the quality of these vs the mikes 2 into 1 headers? need to sort out my chopped header situation and was also considering these x-pipes but at $400 im not really sold.

Lluber,
I can't say about the X pipes, but I have a set of Mikes 2-1 on my XS650. I would say the quality of the Mikes 2-1 is reasonable for the price. The chrome is OK, not great, the fit was fine, but takes a little fiddling to really get it where you want it. If you ride hard you'll scrape the exhaust on right hand corners, I do often. when I have the time, I will be fabricating my own 2-1 and will re-route it so it won't scrape.
As far as the X pipes go, I find it really hard to believe that they will do what is advertised, and therefor really aren't worth the expense.
Just my 2 cents.

DLD1

good to know. I think Im gonna give the mikes a shot once they're available.. any issues fitting a muffler on them (side clearance etc..) I was just going to use one of my emgo shorty mufflers which fit the current chopped headers.

Here's a photo of mine. The reverse cone short muffler works well, sounds good, and just a bit tricky to hang.

Attachments

• XS_2-2011f.jpg
    XS_2-2011f.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 220
UPDATE.been a compleate waste of time and money. 1/the header pipes are made from thin exhaust pipe.the pipe that comes out of the back of your car. 2/you have to make up a set of brackets to hang the muffler which he doesnt mention in add or emails(also will add to the vibrations so i doult if the push in fitting to the to the so called header pipes will last long 3/ he sent the wrong system,the only way the headers on mine will sit flush in the head is to run on the out side of the bike.to go under the engine one side of the header sits 1/4 in higher in the head then the other so no way possible would it seal with that angle. refuses point blank he could have made a mistake,no satisfaction from him,just your fitting it wrong and now its out of ebays 45 day resolution limit so..... BEWARE..... have now ordered hughs which unfortunaly came out a couple of weeks after ordering.bit of a shame as i still like the design pity its a rip off.wont do any good but will notify ebay just so they have it in record

agreed,cant understand it,basic good design, cheap shoody material and a bad biz additude.will still try and use the muffer on my other xs but will have to get another set of headers made up.more dollars i cant afford just to recoope some of the money im out.but by the same token the same week i got my head from ryan at 707 racing.o/s titanium valves/springs/ported etc etc havent fitted it yet but looks really good.he even tossed in a set of new alum inlets and the postage.now thats deffinitly a contrast

Back