XS-1 drum brake service limits?

drdano

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a specification for the max service limit diameter on the front and rear drum brakes on an XS-1? What options does someone have if you're beyond the service limit? New hubs? Can the drum be re-lined? Thanks folks!

Good question.
All I could find is the drum diameters.
Front - 200mm
Rear - 180mm

Yeah, these things won't last forever. And aren't being made anymore. I'll keep my eyes open for any solutions...

A long time ago i did some looking, i have some front hubs no doubt one or more is of marginal thickness. On a few vintage racing forums relining was tried. The results were truly disastrous, think I saw several reports of hubs breaking (not braking) at speed. No longer remember if the riders survived.
Just a thought with no research; build up liner with plasma spray then machine to spec? No idea of the friction co-efficient of the metals available and the structure of same after being sprayed.

Does anyone have a specification for the max service limit diameter on the front and rear drum brakes on an XS-1? What options does someone have if you're beyond the service limit? New hubs? Can the drum be re-lined? Thanks folks!
Would the rear hub off a 1972 be the same as the XS-1? Have one of those out in the barn, rim is wasted due to rust but the hub might be usable. If interested I could remove spokes and clean it up with glass beads.

Thanks for the replies folks. The front hub brake drum diameter measures in at 199.5mm, so I think it should be ok. The shoes are toast, the glue just turned to white powder. Is Vintage Brake (Mr. M.M.M.) the go-to for a service, re-arc job? Kshansen, thank you for the offer, i will keep that in mind if mine turns out to be not serviceable.

Attachments

• 18446555_10155252957778427_228001560468487811_n.jpg
    18446555_10155252957778427_228001560468487811_n.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 65
Thanks for the replies folks. The front hub brake drum diameter measures in at 199.5mm, so I think it should be ok. The shoes are toast, the glue just turned to white powder. Is Vintage Brake (Mr. M.M.M.) the go-to for a service, re-arc job? Kshansen, thank you for the offer, i will keep that in mind if mine turns out to be not serviceable.

I would at the least give him a call and see what he suggests.

I might get bored someday and just for fun clip the spokes on that rear wheel and see how it cleans up.

Also have the front Disc brake wheel off that bike, the one in the picture to the left, again the rim is probably shot but disk an hub may be usable.

NOTE: A little time ago I went out to the barn to get the rear drum wheel, well It appears I "DO NOT" have it anymore. Thinking that I may have shipped it to someone. I do still have the front rim with the disk brake. Kind of strange way they mount the disc separate from the hub of the wheel! Not actually what I would call a floating disk but also not bolted solid either!

Last edited:
Back