XS doesn't like to idle

Tim L

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, a carb question for the massed brains of the group.
Engine rebored, new crank bearings, new everything really. New pair of VM34 carbs, semi open exhausts and ram air filters. Runs quite nicely once you are moving but just won't idle very well. If I come back from a ride the revs take off up to around 2000. If I let the clutch out a bit to slow the engine it is okay but I usually have to give it a few revs to select neutral and then it takes off again.
If I tweak and fiddle I can get it to idle at around 1000 but can't walk away as it always seems like it is going to stall.
New filters carbs and inlet manifolds with gaskets so I don't think there are any air leaks. Synch checked quite a few times. Valve gaps checked a few times.
Like I said I can ride it quite happily but can't really let go of the throttle when stopping, just in case.
Has anyone else had any similar issues?
Many thanks.

Off the top of my head, I would suspect out of sync or an air leak. I have no VM experience. Since you checked the sync, I guess you should look closer for the air leak.

VM's have idle air jets, screw in is richer, start turning them in a bit.
What ignition? check timing with a light as you rev up, and idle down, a few times?

Back