XS infidelity

Maurice

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Picked this up for relatively cheap.

20150323_182532.jpg

It is such a blast to ride! Had some trouble with the stock carb, but that all went away with a new VM36.

20150402_183017.jpg

Completely different bike with this carb.

I had been looking for one for quite a bit, I think it complements the XS650 well.

Thanks, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised, usually cheap bike means many hours rebuilding stuff. Here all I did was change the oil, clean the carb, check electrics, new plug/cap, compression, valve clearances and it fired right up. I have put some miles on it since, including a 120 mile trip the other day when temps were in the mid-60s, and it went smooth (as smooth as a big single can be). There is just some blue smoke at startup sometimes that goes away after a few seconds, but oil level seems steady. I suspect valve stem seals, compression is pretty good. I don't feel like tearing it up right now!

With the drum rear brake, I'm guessing it's an '80 or '81. That should have had the updated newer carb which usually works OK. The drum rear makes a spoke wheel conversion easier. An XS650 front swaps right in but for a direct rear swap, you'd want to find an XT (not TT) 500 rear. If the plug is running a bit dark, make sure it's a BP6ES, not a BP7ES. The ignition timing was updated in '80 and the plug recommendation changed from a 7 to a 6.

'81, you are correct.

Do not tempt my with spoke wheels ;) I did start looking and actually did find XT rear wheels, reasonable prices at that... Then I thought about my kids I have to put through college, and decided to close the window/delete bookmarks (mostly when finding a front XS hub was proving difficult). I thought I had made up my mind, and would be able to keep some $$, and be able to afford something other than ramen. Look what you did now...

I don't care how updated the carb was, it's going on fleabay. Damn thing has 3 diaphragms (which I replaced...), pump linkage, unobtainium bits, fixed needle, and was fouling plugs in the mid-range like crazy (I suspect worn needle jet, cf. unobtainium), despite open exhaust and air-box. Not to mention a PITA to start sometimes. VM36 straight out of the box idled like a swiss watch at something like .5 RPM, and is much more adjustable.

I am in fact running a 7 plug now and it actually looks decent, maybe a bit on the rich side. Will try a 6. Thanks

Back