XS motor winter rebuild!

Yes I asked Roger to prep the rings for me, so he sent my jugs labeled with the corresponding pistons and ring kits. He'll do it for free if you ask him when you send in the parts.

If you didn't have him do that job, you can easily gap your own rings. It's not a big deal, I just had him do it since he does it all day long for these motors.

Hello,

I'm doing pretty much this exact mod (bored to 700 with the Shell #1 cam) also from Hoos. I noticed that your pistons and cylinders seem to be labeled "1" and "2" like they are matched. Is this something Roger did for you? Mine are not labeled like this (got them back on Monday). Was this something extra you asked for? Just confused a bit want to be sure this is going to work.

thanks

When a pro does your boring, they will match each piston to each cylinder in a certain direction. Even though the pistons are "exactly the same". This is because there are usually minute differences in how they are fitted.

Are your pistons at least marked?

I received all my extra parts from Mikes yesterday; I'm headed to the garage to put the motor back together today.

Will post pics this evening!

I got the engine put together for the most part over the weekend, but I had a few points I wanted to bring up. Since Roger pre-gapped my rings and numbered my pistons and cylinders, getting the new pistons in was a piece of cake. As a side note, the JE piston's compression rings are very similar in appearance, one being marked "N" and the other "2N". The "N" ring is slightly thinner and square, this is the top compression ring. The bottom compression ring is slightly thicker and is marked "2N", and has a chamfer on the inner edge. Both rings will fit in either slot on the piston, so it's easy to get these confused. In reality, mixing them up will cause the thicker ring to "stick" when compressed on the piston.

I decided that since I'm using copper gaskets, I'd use the permatex copper coat spay. I'm wondering if this will be sufficient enough to prevent leaks at the head gasket. I chose to use the copper coat so that if I need to disassemble the motor later for any reason, I won't risk damaging the gaskets that may occur if I used ultra grey or gasgacinch. I sprayed ab 3 coats on both the head and base gasket. I'm a little worried this may be leaky just because the copper coat is tacky and more liquid like than an ultra grey sealant, as I can see it squish out at the base gasket when I start torquing things down. What are you all using on copper gaskets?

I installed a new DID cam chain and front and rear guides; I peened the cam chain master link using my motion pro chain breaker and a hardened bolt. It worked well. I had to use an impact driver to remove the 4 philips head bolts at the rear chain guide.

The shell cam went in just like factory, with the notch on the camshaft at 12 clock. Unfortunately, the new bearings did not go on the cam as smoothly as I'd have liked; I have a feeling that they'll be difficult to remove next time the cam needs to come out, as they needed a little coercion to slide fully on the camshaft.

I purchased all new grade 8 hardware for the 6 rocker box to head bolts; I used stainless washers underneath these and I ran into an issue when torquing the head. My torque wrench is a piece of shit harbor freight, and even w it set at 14lbs., it would not click at the setting, and instead would just keep on adding torque. I realized that things were getting too tight when one of the head to rocker box bolts broke. I thought I stripped a thread on the head, but the bolt had stretched and broken. I went ahead and pulled all the bolts back off, pulled the rocker box and cleaned off the yamabond; the sheared bolt threads were accessible when I pulled the rocker box, so I was able to remove it with my fingers and breath a sigh of relief that I didn't strip the head.

Today I'll be purchasing new bolts and hardened washers for the head to rocker box and a real craftsman torque wrench, then I'll get the rest of the motor torqued. I noticed the stainless washers I was using had deformed under the bolt heads, probably contributing more to the inaccurate torque settings I had initially applied. I'll be using hardened washers the 2nd time around.

Sorry for the lack of photos, will post up when I get the motor finished.

Wazzup fredo,

I got the motor finished, have about 100 miles on her.

Still making some carb adjustments and getting everything dialed. It's fast but honestly I haven't had the best tune on it, I think I can get more.

I just had my seat upholstered, it's showing up today.

I'll post a vid of the bike running this weekend.

let's see some photos of the bike and the new seat! your bike has always been one of my favorites on the forum. I need some inspiration while I wait for parts in the mail. My project is moving along, slowly. But, it's getting there.

avenue.

let's see some photos of the bike and the new seat! your bike has always been one of my favorites on the forum. I need some inspiration while I wait for parts in the mail. My project is moving along, slowly. But, it's getting there.

avenue.

Man, nice words Avenue, I'm really flattered man!

Here's a quick shot from yesterday, I got my seat done by Doug Haifley in leather with sonic boom pleats, he CRUSHED it:

6997879941_0b880b5222_b.jpg

Here's a teaser on the bike...

6862335914_27f9cbc6e5_b.jpg

My bike has a little photo shoot this weekend, so the legit photos are coming.

OH!

I also got an email from Craig at Front St. Cycle, I had him build me some T-bars so I can keep my front brake.

I love the way the dog bones/risers looked but unfortunately not more than my face; I can't run a master cylinder with that setup.

xs650%2Btbars%2Bforward%2B001.jpg

xs650%2Btbars%2Bforward%2B002.jpg

nice...but i just made a set like that for my rig and it was to put the master back on. Whats up twin!! hahaha still have to do brake lines but this panhead im building is killing me

I've been debating whether or not to toss this biltwell solo for a haifley solo for a while now. Wouldn't happen to be able to comment which is comfier would you?

My ass is sore after only an hour on my biltwell.

Ha! These bars rule man, I love the narrow lanesplitter type. I'm stoked to get my front brake going again so I can ride hard. These are obviously gonna get shortened a bunch.

You have a link to your panhead build anywhere?

And Fredo, I couldn't say to be honest. I was riding a solid steel pan all of last summer! Just any sort of padding whatsoever is gonna be an improvement for me.

Yea i hadclip ons before and it was not comfy it was like riding a crotch rock my hands would kill!! Im computer stupid so i dont have a thread. I just finished raking and windowing the frame. Gonna start on the sissy and seat pan this week. Trying to get it going for the knuckle schuffle in june. How was the pricing and turn around on that seat was thinking of going with them

Back