XS newbie, reporting to duty

adrenalnjunky

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all from freaking hot Louisiana - first day of Fall, my ass.

Anyway - at the wise old age of 35, I finally decided that I would give in to the lifelong draw that 2 wheels has always had on me. Borrowed a buddy's FZ1 to tool around on for a couple of months and get my endorsement and all. Most people freak out when you tell them you learned to ride on a liter, but screw em, it's all in the right wrist.

Anyways, I was looking for a basketcase project originally to work on all summer, decided I really wanted somthing more sportbike to wrench on, and found a old neglected 92 CBR 600 for a pretty decent deal. I've been working it back into pretty good shape, and should be about done with it after a fork rebuild and finishing the paint on my fairings.

Last week, one of my pool league buddies "remembers" he's got an old Yamaha under the carport that he hasn't touched in almost 20 years, but thinks it was running when it was parked there. Said I could have it if I wanted it.

Turns out it's a 79 XS650, dirty and rusty, but there's still a bike under there. Kickstarter wouldn't budge anything, so I poured Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders, and into the oil in the crankcase to try and see if everything will free up.

3 days of soaking and the kickstart still won't budge. I decide to pull the stator cover and try rolling the crank there - to my amazement the pistons moved fine - sounded a touch dry at first, but after moving a little the MMO must have coated a bit and they move well. Although here's my first question - I can only roll the crank over about 1 full rotation, then something keeps me from going farther. Both pistons are moving together up to that point. I can rotate them back the other way through to the same point.

Any clue what I'm running into there? Also - what's the prognosis on the kickstart? the prev. owner says he almost always used the kickstart, cause the ignition button is broken.

anyways - here's a pic of both my current 2-wheeled projects.
(the queen seat's gotta go, btw)
5013405807_1c5e70972e_z.jpg

4768647593_093fba3e97_z.jpg

Sounds like a valve is stuck open and the piston is hitting it when it comes up, stopping rotation. I'd pull all 4 valve covers and watch to see that the valves are all opening and closing as you turn the motor over.

Thanks - sounds like it's a good thing I didn't really get on my breaker bar when working on it last night.

Might also be a good thing that the kickstarter isn't working right now if that's the case.

Sounds like a valve is stuck open and the piston is hitting it when it comes up, stopping rotation. I'd pull all 4 valve covers and watch to see that the valves are all opening and closing as you turn the motor over.

+1. And congrats on the 79. 2nd best year. :D

Ride the honda and rebuild the Xs , fun bikes to wrench on. There's a huge collection of photos of the Xs on the web just surf around. also check out 650 central and mikes Xs for parts et. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys in here to help you out.It"s not the best bike to hard tail it takes a lot of work to get the right lines. Anyway your pretty lucky to have such a nice friend. Good luck with the build.

Quick update - finally got around to checking for a stuck valve, sure enough it's the exhaust valve on the right cylinder won't come back up.

Bad thing is that I figured out the kickstarter wasn't frozen, the motor must have been rolled over onto that stuck valve when trying to get the kickstart to free up. While I didn't put a lot of pressure on my breaker bar when I finally decided to roll the crank over by hand, I know that I tried kicking it over lots of times.

Chances I've ruined that valve anyone? My buddy says the bike ran when parked, so I don't think I've had a chance to do any internal damage, other than the valve itself.

Guess I'll pull the motor and make it my first order of business.

I finally dusted the speedo off, - the bike shows to only have 9,200 miles on it. It was ridden until around 86, then parked since then.

If you get that valve unstuck you could check the compression. I would think that would tell you if the valve is bent or not.

Anyone got a method for unsticking the valve without a teardown?

I've poured some marvel mystery oil over the top of the tappet and spring, and added some PB blaster for good measure, then I put the cover back on to let it marinate.

Is there something I can insert under the spring retainer plate or something?

This is a free bike? Dude you made out! It will take lots of love but still...free is right in my price range! And you got the title for it too?
When you turn it over does the cam move the rocker?

If you can work the valve open and closed a few times, it might free up. Tap it open from the top, pull it closed from there too or push it closed through the spark plug hole. Oil may not penetrate much from the top because there's a seal over the guide. Just pounding on it from the top may break it free.

I've done as 5twins said. Use a block of wood against the rocker arm and hit the block with a hammer.
Sometimes pushing the valve down can break the stem loose from the guide. The extra push back of the spring can pull the valve up a bit farther than it was stuck. Everytime the valve gets pushed down and the spring pushes it back moves the valve father back up.
I've had this work. If it won't free the valve then you haven't lost anything but a few minutes of your time.
You may still have to pull the head, but at least you tried.

Back