XS Performance rear rims NO GOOD!

2muchmoney

Noisepollution
Reaction score
Wanted to let everyone know if your planning on buying a rear rim from mikexs,one of the xs performance ones, DON'T!. The front wheels will lace up fine to your front hub, but the rears will not,found this out after way to many hours of lacing and relacing, after careful measurements and calculating I discovered the rims where drilled at the wrong angle. I contacted mikesxs and they are giving me a full refund on spokes and rim. The problem that really got me is that I rebuilt my front wheel first (brand new everything) except hub of course.So now I have this great front wheel and no match for the rear. The next issue I have is why is MIKES still selling these rear rims, they have had many reports that there are problems with them, they know they have an issue with them ,yet I still see them on there site for sale, why go through the hassle of selling them,and then having them returned for a full refund? They really need to get this issue straighten out with there supplier as the rims themselves are truly of the highest quality.They just need to reset there jig for the correct angles.:banghead:

2much, continuing to sell defective parts until the stock is gone is company policy at Mike's XS. It's been the same story with carb mounts, alternator rotors, single-lobe ignition cams--the list goes on. You may be able to find a good match for your front rim from Sun, Excel, or another maker; Mike's XS isn't the only source.

No all rear rims are incorrect! How would I know anything was wrong with them before I purchased them? I ran into problems with mine ,then I researched and found others had also reported problems to MIKES (Mike LaLonde), why the sarcasm, you work for Mike or something, I'm not here to down Mikes stuff. I love it and have ordered thousands of dollars worth of parts from him, I'm just here to save people the headaches I had with these rear rims.

2much, continuing to sell defective parts until the stock is gone is company policy at Mike's XS. It's been the same story with carb mounts, alternator rotors, single-lobe ignition cams--the list goes on. You may be able to find a good match for your front rim from Sun, Excel, or another maker; Mike's XS isn't the only source.

I thought that might be the case, when I called them on the rim problem, they sent me another set of spokes saying the first must have been cut wrong.... I called them again and said no, the spokes laced fine to the hub and old rim,they don't lace to your new rim,thats the problem. Your right they wont admit anything is wrong with there rim.

I guess I have to post pics for the non believers,pic1 original rusted rim&hub with new spokes works fine. 2nd pic, new spokes and xs rim w/original hub, even with the nips on the pitch is to steep and the spokes dont reach, and dont say get longer spokes. If you have ever laced a wheel,you know thats not going to work...lol.

Attachments

• DSCN0292.jpg
    DSCN0292.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 466
  • DSCN0272.jpg
    DSCN0272.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 398
don't question my ability to work on vehicles. and yes I did the rear wheel in 15 mins. are you running the inner and outer spokes in the correct holes?

I've been doing this for 15 yrs now. I also know how to build a wheel, but thanks anyway. You may want to look at the first pic, I know how to lace the wheel.

The problem with the spoke angles on the rear rims came to light about a year ago. I guess I'm not surprised Mike is still selling them. Back then his response was, and I quote .....

"..... Wheel building and lacing is Not easy and is as much a skill as an art (Not something many have mastered)."

So, in other words, it's our fault because we don't know what we're doing, lol.

Thanks for the heads up. I just started my street tracker project. I'll be careful now where I spend my money. I spend most of my time in the long distance riders community and there is a dealer over there with similar attitude. I don't buy from him anymore as a result. Any dealer can get stuck with bad parts but when they make it the customers' problem, it's time to move on.

No all rear rims are incorrect! How would I know anything was wrong with them before I purchased them? I ran into problems with mine ,then I researched and found others had also reported problems to MIKES (Mike LaLonde), why the sarcasm, you work for Mike or something, I'm not here to down Mikes stuff. I love it and have ordered thousands of dollars worth of parts from him, I'm just here to save people the headaches I had with these rear rims.

I wasnt being sarcastic, I said lol. no, I dont work for mikes, lol. If some people have probs and some dont, then it is likely that some of the rims are drilled incorrectly and some aren't. Mikes rims suck(made by xs performance), I bought a 21" that was supposed to be" high polished" and it was dull like it was sanded with scotchbrite. The rubber products suck too. On the other hand, everything else has been great, like sprockets, chains, bearings seals etc..

Guys, there are six different XS Performance rear rims offered, differing in pattern (H or WM), diameter, width, and spoke count. If you'd specify what you had, we might be able to sort out the good, the bad, and the ugly in Mike's offerings.

That's a good suggestion, Griz. Maybe cause for a new thread? A poll?

In fact, it would be cool if we could poll the members regarding all sorts of parts from Mikes (and others?)

Can we set up voting polls on this forum?

It would be tricky since you'd almost have to get it down to the part number.

Guys, there are six different XS Performance rear rims offered, differing in pattern (H or WM), diameter, width, and spoke count. If you'd specify what you had, we might be able to sort out the good, the bad, and the ugly in Mike's offerings.

Sorry I have to always seem to disagree but.... There are only two hubs, a 36 hole and a 48 hole pattern ( SJ Heritage Special) H, WM, width, and circumference make little difference. When rims are made the come out of long rolling press and are just cut to size depending on wheel circumference, then bent and welded. I am surprised that they got all rear rims tooled incorrectly as a reg rim has just a 1x1 pattern and the Heritage has a radial lace 2x2 pattern,you would think they would have gotten 1 of them correct. They got all the front rims correct.

Thanks for the heads up. I just started my street tracker project. I'll be careful now where I spend my money. I spend most of my time in the long distance riders community and there is a dealer over there with similar attitude. I don't buy from him anymore as a result. Any dealer can get stuck with bad parts but when they make it the customers' problem, it's time to move on.

Your welcome, I wish I would have known, now I have a spoke alloy rim on the front,and I have to think of what to do with the rear, Mag? maybe but then I have to go to a rear disc,perhaps bucanans can make me an alloy one,it will cost me alot more then $89 bucks lol.:doh:

Back