XS Performance rear rims NO GOOD!

Since i recently went back to work at Mike's,i am looking into these problems with the rims.I build bikes at my own shop (out there kustom shop.com) so these problems concern me on two levels.

Wanted to let everyone know if your planning on buying a rear rim from mikexs,one of the xs performance ones, DON'T!. The front wheels will lace up fine to your front hub, but the rears will not,found this out after way to many hours of lacing and relacing, after careful measurements and calculating I discovered the rims where drilled at the wrong angle. I contacted mikesxs and they are giving me a full refund on spokes and rim. The problem that really got me is that I rebuilt my front wheel first (brand new everything) except hub of course.So now I have this great front wheel and no match for the rear. The next issue I have is why is MIKES still selling these rear rims, they have had many reports that there are problems with them, they know they have an issue with them ,yet I still see them on there site for sale, why go through the hassle of selling them,and then having them returned for a full refund? They really need to get this issue straighten out with there supplier as the rims themselves are truly of the highest quality.They just need to reset there jig for the correct angles.:banghead:

Why still sell them?
Because Mike L is a horrible business person who is only looking to rip people off.

I guess I have to post pics for the non believers,pic1 original rusted rim&hub with new spokes works fine. 2nd pic, new spokes and xs rim w/original hub, even with the nips on the pitch is to steep and the spokes dont reach, and dont say get longer spokes. If you have ever laced a wheel,you know thats not going to work...lol.

I don't get it... Is the rim being drilled at the wrong angles causing those spokes to seem short? I suppose I could see how that could happen if they won't allow the hub to rotate like it should. I bet this is only a problem for one batch of 48 hole rear rims, so to say all his rear rims are no good isn't fair when he has a few different styles or rear rims... The title should say something like, "Some XS Performance rear rims drilled wrong!". You said it yourself that quality of the rim is fine, they are just drilled wrong. :twocents: Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be fair.

2much, what are you disagreeing with? You're assuming that all those rear rims were made the same way by the same people, and that may not be the case; XS Performance isn't a manufacturer, all that stuff is contracted, mostly to factories in China (mainland or Taiwan, they both call their country China, though Lalonde likes to quibble about that). You aren't the first guy to report trouble, and jamesgs4 isn't the first guy to report success, so it's a valid question whether the defect is limited to some but not all of the XS Performance rims. Looks like yours is a Heritage rim and right, that's not something you can find off the rack. I feel your pain.

I guess the good news is, he's giving you a full refund on the rim and spokes. Maybe you'll just have to wait a while and order again and hope they are corrected in the future. Maybe our new insider will have some info for us.

How about answering some questions instead of getting into it with Zoom?

Better?

Last edited:
Here we ago again.. Why don't people realize that Mike Lalonde is out to make a profit? That's it. He must find it more profitable to run his business the way he does. Big deal, get over it.

Why don't we try to keep this discussion to the one rear rim that this is about, and not all of mike's operation. There are other threads for that.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Travis. In this case, I think it would have been more productive for drog to address the questions raised in this thread more thoroughly than to respond to Capt Zoom. True that Capt Zoom already had an entire thread of his own to voice his anger.
My attitude probably could have been better. I just wish drog would have given some info rather than just responding to Zoom in a negative way.

Feel free to delete both of my posts on here. Not that you need permission, I suppose.

No I agree with you. They both didn't need to go there. I though drog was going to be a great insider resource. :shrug:

People just need to be reasonable... People always tend to get a little emotional when MikesXS is mentioned. One person says something a little crazy and then people react to it and it always turns into the same discussion. I'm getting bored with it all. Oh well.

The problem rim from about a year ago was also a 16" but it was the normal 36 hole version. Maybe the 16s are the only bad ones. No problems have been reported with the fronts or the 18" rears.

Seems like a simple issue of right or wrong. It would be great to get a straight answer here as to what the problem is. Are they made wrong and still for sale or are a few bad and refunded or exchanged? I they are all bad why are they still being shipped?

Because a person may work at a place does not mean that he can or should assume to
speak for the business or it's ownership or management. Let's try to keep that in mind folks and cut drog some slack. Blue

2muchmoney,thanks,just received the rim and spokes today from you.I will take them back to my shop tonight and take detailed measurements from the rim and compare that to a few stock Heritage rims i have.I want to get to the bottom of this and see if this an isolated incident or what.We have not had other complaints on the Heritage rear rims that I know of,so i'm curious to what the problem is.I have lots of shop projects going on,but i will get on this and let you know what i find out asap.Thanks.

2muchmoney,thanks,just received the rim and spokes today from you.I will take them back to my shop tonight and take detailed measurements from the rim and compare that to a few stock Heritage rims i have.I want to get to the bottom of this and see if this an isolated incident or what.We have not had other complaints on the Heritage rear rims that I know of,so i'm curious to what the problem is.I have lots of shop projects going on,but i will get on this and let you know what i find out asap.Thanks.

Thank you so much, if you find a 16'' that works please contact me asap and I will buy it faster then you can say xs650...lol, I would love to finish this bike with matching wheels, If I didn't have so much time and $$ in the front wheel,I would switch to mags today. Thanks again for looking into this wheel issue, I love these rims(the front ones anyway) there quality is outstanding, they are easy to true, due greatly to an almost non-existent
weld. Keep me posted and thanks again.:thumbsup:

So, since I just discoverd this discussion today....what was the outcome? Anyone? Drog? I'm going to be replacing my old wheels on my 76 Tracker soon. Thanks gang.

Back