XS Power Batteries from Mikes XS

highspeedhamish

Too much power?
Reaction score
Anyone bought and used a XS power Battery from Mikes XS? The price is right on these but Ive only ever used Yuasa my whole life... but I want an AGM battery for the chopper. Thanks!

I had read here & at 650 Rider they were having problems with them going dead after sitting for a little while(winter storage). But I also read here that Mikes was replacing them at no cost. I wrote in another thread that I'm considering an Interstate battery, but I'm not sure if they make one, yet. Got a friend with a franchise, gonna have to give him a call to see. I don't need a battery yet, so I don't know when I'll ask him about it.:shrug::shrug:

The AGM batteries this thread is talking about are even better than Gel from what I've read

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are the latest step in the evolution of lead-acid batteries. Instead of using a gel, an AGM uses a fiberglass like separator to hold the electrolyte in place. The physical bond between the separator fibers, the lead plates, and the container make AGMs spill-proof and the most vibration and impact resistant lead-acid batteries available today. Even better, AGMs use almost the same voltage set-points as flooded cells and thus can be used as drop-in replacements for flooded cells.

Basically, an AGM can do anything a Gel-cell can, only better. However, since they are also sealed, charging has to be controlled carefully or they too can be ruined in short order.

Lots of companies make AGM batteries for motorcycles. I have an Odyssey for one of my bikes but it's bigger than the stock battery.

AGM batteries can mounted in any direction

I do believe the key to the longevity of any battery is the initial charge to the battery. a nice steady,even, low amp charge is the key. Years ago at the MC dealer, we would put on like 50 batterys in late March to be ready for sale when the season started.We had very few bad batterys as a result. At least that was what I was told. And of course proper maintenance

I bought a AGM from Mikes and put it on a Battery Tender as soon as I received it. From time to time I alaternate the battery tender on my Guzzi. Great cranking power.

I have an AGM from Mike's. It's a replacement for one that went dead and sat on the shelf for 3 months. It seems fine.

I wish Optima made motorcycle batteries. I'd have one in a heartbeat.

I can't give an advice on AGM batteries, but I've been using the same interstate battery for about 3 years straight with basically no maintenance. I don't even think I've put it on a charger....

I just found this thread. I installed an AGM from Mike's last season and installed it in my 650, which is not ridden much. I admittedly made the mistake of letting it sit untended for most of a bitter mid-Atlantic winter, and then developed electrical issues that presented as charging system problems, but I'd get normal voltage gauge numbers after charging the battery. The battery seems to discharge quickly, though, so I installed another Mike's one last night and am now charging it up and hoping it was just a bad/neglected battery. I can't really impugn the battery because it may have been my fault; I'd just be happy to confirm that it was the battery and not the charging system.

TC

I have a little Schumacher SpeedCharge charger/maintainer that's supposedly a smart charger.

The problem I have had with my '73 that limits my battery selection is that the positive pole needs to be on the left side (as you sit on the bike). Reversing the position of the battery is not possible without lengthening or replacing cables, which is a pain in the *ss (been there and got that tee-shirt), so I have just opted for the Mike's straight-up replacement. If the battery turns out to have been the issue I'll be happy and move on to other problems.

TC

Back