XS Registration - NO TITLE

Now, having said all of the above, I think that the Japanese manufacturers did not always match the numbers leaving the factory, so it might be a good idea to always get a bill of sale for the engine when you buy a motorcycle.

Nah. Only if they don't match ;)
:)

Just wanted to add that here in North Carolina a Bill of Sale is a worthless piece of paper unless it has been notarized.

The only thing that matters here is the title. You could have a bill of sale drawn up by F. Lee Bailey and I don't think it would matter.

^What do you want to know? I don't understand your question. Would a bill of sale have no weight in any context in front of any judge? I can't say that.

hey guys, i wonder how can ya find a vin on oldies? got 79 and didnt get anything with it. just bill of sale eh. will i be able to safty and insure it?

The only thing that matters here is the title. You could have a bill of sale drawn up by F. Lee Bailey and I don't think it would matter.

Are you saying you can make a bill of sale up and it would go through the system.

It's kinda like that here in Ct. skull. If the bike is an'80 or older, no title needed. DMV here has a bill of sale that's "official". Just fill it out, have a stranger sign it, and go register. However, if the VIN is of the 17 digit type as '81 and newer are here in the States, you have to have a title. There are ways around a title, but consists of getting temporary plates, DMV inspection, title search, then, if all is well, a permanent reg with a new title. Cost? ridiculous, about $500.:wtf:
FYI, I was related to the famous F.Lee, through marrige. His son married my second wife's neice.

Are you saying you can make a bill of sale up and it would go through the system.

If you took a bill of sale before a judge he would tell the other guy give him the title to the car or give him his money back. It wouldn't help you in the process of getting a title in this state in any other way that I know of. I was told that in this state "to get a title you have to have a title." Meaning to get a title in your own name you have to have the title from the previous owner signed over to you. If the car's in state already the two of you go before a notary at a bank, car lot, flea market, nail salon, or etc. :) and both sign in certain places on the back of the title and the notary stamps it. The vehicle is then yours. You keep that title in your possession. The final step is go to the DMV and turn that title in and get a title with your name printed on the front, which comes to you in the mail, and you register it at the same time.

If it was from out of state, it's the same but before you get the title in your name it goes through a very easy inspection. Almost what you;d call a nominal inspection, an inspection in name only.

F. Lee Bailey is sort of like what you'd call a good lawyer - like you'd point at a speeder and say "There goes Mario Andretti." :)

Last edited:
We need to form a 51st state, Yamahoma? All of the state operating expenses will be paid by title fees. You bring it in, we will issue a title. 10% sales tax based on worth and a claiming rule. Anyone who wants to, has a week to pay what you claimed the bike is worth and take possession with a clean title. We probably wouldn't be able to spend money as fast as it comes in. UH yeah we could!

^A state where everything is legal would be better. Oh wait, there's Nevada already.

hey guys, i wonder how can ya find a vin on oldies? got 79 and didnt get anything with it. just bill of sale eh. will i be able to safty and insure it?

the vin is stamped in the neck of the frame and on the front of the engine casing down low.

To answer your question, load it on a truck or trailer and haul it to your local DMV

Where you live, Afghanistan? The rules vary tremendously by jurisdiction and often by the mood of the bureaucrat you get to deal with...
I have had no problem with engine swaps but Wisconsin is not all that concerned about VINs in my experience. The VIN went from engine number to frame what 30 years ago and after that the engine # doesn't matter here.

Last edited:
gggGary is right about Wisconsin. In fact, I have a 71 CB100 that was originally titled by its ENGINE number (which is different than the frame numner). When issuing the new title, the VIN now reads the FRAME number.

I've spent most of my time in Texas, Minnesota and (mostly) Wisconsin - I've never seen or heard of law enforcement even looking at the engine number during traffic stops here.

FWIW, Getting a Wisconsin Title goes like this...

The process to get a WI title starts with a form MV3623 (Public Vehicle Identification Number Certificastion). This form is used for all kinds of vehicles, including motorcycles (of course). On the form, you need to list the ENGINE number and FRAME identification numbers separately. The form also needs to be signed by a law enforcement officer, by which he/she is verifying the ID numbers. (NOTE: Wisconsin does NOT publish this form online, you need to request it… unless you made a copy of a blank one, which I did, for future use)

WI does not title vehicles that are not road worthy, so you can’t title a basket case (until it is re-assembled for the law enforcement officer).

In addition to the form MV3623, you will need to send the following:

1. A completed form MV-1 (available online)
2. A written statement explaining how you got the vehicle and why you do not have its title.
3. Copies of anything that shows ownership (I,e, a Bill of Sale signed by whomever you bought it from)
4. Photos from both sides of the bike (verifying that it is roadworthy, but also to establish the vehicle’s value)
5. Here’s the kicker… if, in the mind of the WI DOT, there is some question about this titling process, they can require you to post a bond in the amount that they establish as the value of the vehicle. The minimum premium I have found for this bond is $100. To me, this makes ANY vehicle with a title worth AT LEAST $100 more than the same vehicle without.

Caveat Emptor...

CT is easy,
bill of sale for 80 and older vehicles..
you can do VIN verification at emissions testing garages if wondering about stolen shit
if you have a previous CT registration, in PO's name from 25 years ago even, you don't need inspection

North Carolina:
Call DMV and make appointment. Depending on the schedule of the inspector he might come to you. (If you're getting a title for a heavy truck they almost always come to you. On bikes you almost always go to them.
Fill out forms. Inspector will tell you what forms to download from the Internet.
Post bond with approved bonding agency.
Sometimes DMV will require more than one inspection but why I don't know as they almost always only check VIN numbers.
Vehicle must be somewhat complete but not necessarily road worthy. (Safety/Emissions is handled by a different DMV department than License/theft.)
Wait a few weeks to a few months the title comes in the mail.

But sometimes (this happened to me) DMV will issue the title before they send a letter to the last known owner. Last known owner will open letter, say, "WTF, I never sold that bike!" and call local law.

At that point local law shows up with previous owner and drives your toy away. Because you jumped through all the hoops you're not charged with any crime.

So you say, "Hey, I paid for a bond to protect me, I'm going to get a check from the insurance company to cover my loss."

Wrong! The bond covers the DMV in case they screw up.

Back