XS1 different original tank paint - white stripes

tjon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Have seen XS1 with different original paint on the tank (the white color stripes are different).
Someone who knows anything about it?

Those are the XS1 from 1970 :bike:

Attachments

• yamaha-xs1-650-01.jpg
    yamaha-xs1-650-01.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 662
  • 15587303.jpg
    15587303.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 861
The picture on the right is the style I've seen in most pictures of the xs1. The picture on the left has the same stripe pattern as the xs1b. I have no idea if any came from the factory like that or if this was a restoration error.

Scroll down. Geoff Bamfords Genuine XS1 built from the crate about 10 years ago. never ridden. looks like the one on the right has the correct style of paint.......Never know with those Japs though

The bike to the left was for sale 5 years ago and the owner bought it new an rode it for 2 summers.
After that it was stored in his garage before he sold it, so I believe the tank is "original factory"

I have also seen a bike that claimes to only have 1646 miles on it with the same white striped tank and it´s a 1970. Strange?! See pic :yikes:

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJEgE8oY,psQNBP,7rW2P-w~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJEgE8oY,psQNBP,7rW2P-w~~60_3.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 354
Heard that some of the XS1-F came in Candy Green thow most of them were Candy Orange and the XS1-F had that different white stripes applied.

Maybe the Japs put some of these striped tanks on the first XS1???

This is from an original broschure.

Attachments

• xs1-xs1b_stripes.jpg
    xs1-xs1b_stripes.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 338
  • fol1F_1.jpg
    fol1F_1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 314
The bike with 1646 miles is flawed!! The exhaust valve clover has 4 bolts. 4 bolt exhaust valve covers started in 72. That does not appear to be a genuine 1970 engine. Just an observation . I Know a little about the XS1.
Regards,
CPKID

Strange, engine no and frame no is the same (matching), I know, just bought it from a dealer in CT. The bike is travelling over the ocean right now.
Maybe the cylinder head is replaced?

If the head has been replaced it would devalue the bike a lot. Hard to get them now, XS1 heads that is

Here is what the head should look like. 2 examples shown.
Regards,
CPKID
289461[/ATTACH]"]http://
86dd0b3e.jpg

Attachments

• 86dd0b3e.jpg
    86dd0b3e.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 2
Great picture on the XS1 engines. Thanks!
In about a month I will get the XS1 with only 1646 miles (if that is true), then I gonna examine the bike and figure out if the mileage is correct, is that right, it would be strange if the head was exchanged.

Let me know if you need any reference pictures of the XS1. I questioned seller when he was selling that bike on EBay . The rest of the bike looks genuine . 71 head also has 3 hole valve covers , but no spacers in the fins.
Last months winner is also a great example of an XS1. My one is all stock . Missing a few stock parts for another.
Regards,
CPKID

Yes CPKID it would be nice to have some pictures of yours XS1.
Did the Ebay seller answer your questions and what did he answer.
I asked him if the frame and engine numbers match and he said Yes.
S650-003864 that's the number.

He told me frame and engine numbers match . I replied it's a beautiful bike and wished him luck . Im out of town , but when I get home I'll send you current pictures of both of my XS1s. If you search my posts you'll see numerous pictures of my restoration process. There both nearing completion . It's taken a lot of time , but it's kept me busy . It's very hard to obtain all true 1970 stock parts , but I have one that's 100% . the other one is 90%, but only a few people could see the few parts ( if painted ) that came off of a 71 xs1b.
Regards,
CPKID

One thing I have noticed is the cam chain tensioner cover, on the XS1 it´s tightened with 4 pcs of bolts.
I have a XS2 and those have 6 bolts, so the rest of the bike looks original except the cylinder head, it has been replaced with a later one. Look at the pictures.
It has to be so? :confused:
/Tom

Attachments

• YamahaXS1tensionercover.jpg
    YamahaXS1tensionercover.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 282
  • YamahaXS2tensionercover.jpg
    YamahaXS2tensionercover.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 281
Ask the guy. If you paid good money for an original XS1 and he didn't state it has a different head ion it you might have a case for some compensation. Give us the whole story.

One more picture . These are both genuine 1970 XS1 engines . Only thing that's different is if you look at the valve covers one engine has the covers slotted. I'm not sure of the origin of the slotting . If it was stock or modified . Both engines are now mounted on there matching # frames and almost roadworthy .
Regards,
CPKID
289539[/ATTACH]"]http://
3ea8e98e.jpg

Attachments

• 3ea8e98e.jpg
    3ea8e98e.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 1
650skull - here is the hole story...
Saw a XS1 on Ebay only 1650 miles, this is the sellers text from Ebay:

\\SUPPER NICE ORIGNAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
every now and then, a bike will come around, that has been sitting
in the back of a garage, not bobbed, not acceserized,,not tinkered
with, and frankly.....not really ridden either.....this is one of
those bikes
1970 was the first year for this bike.......the first "big bike"
from Yamaha......also the 1st 4 stroke
the road tests in the day, called it a excellent bike......east to
ride and easy to maintain!
this is the kind of bike a true collector will enjoy
i beleive it to be all original, from the tires to the gray
cables.........i would also bet some of the air in the tires came
from japan
the bike should be completely gone through by a competant mechanic,
to make it road worthy
i did have the carbs cleaned and the battery replaced and added
fresh fuel to the tank.........it took it for a ride around the
neighborhood and everything appears to be working, however due to
the age and
my lack of experience with yamaha .....bike is sold as is where
is...........however if your looking for a nice original with super
low miles......this is it
the left exhaust has some surface rust on top...(see pic).......the
left side cover has some scratches....see pic........and 1 part of
the seat has a small seam split,,,,,see pic, other than those
items......the bike is really nice!//

Was a litle bit skeptical over the low miles but examined the
pictures and it looked good, asked the seller if the numbers were
matching (frame & engine) and he replied Yes, thought that this
bike should be very expensive, due to the low mileage, but I
resolved to bid, and was surprised when I got it.

I transfered the money immediately and started email the seller who
didn´t replied every time - after he got the money, but at least I
got the pickup address for the bike and contacted a shipper which
picked up the bike. Then it was a delay with the title from the
seller to the shipper - it took about 1 month to get it through.

In that time I have studied the pictures several times and noticed
that the white stripes on the tank was different from most XS1:s -
though I seen a few XS1:s with that stripes.
It was then I posted this thread at the forum and CPKID saw the
faulty valve cover on the cylinder head - I had not discovered that
though I should - my idiot (I have a XS2 and know a little about
the first XS models).
I have not got the bike yet - it´s on the ocean and will take about 4 more weeks before I can examine the bike really carefully.

That´s the story.

So getting any cash back from the seller - I can forget it. He won´t even answer any emails.

You US guys - is it possible to track any previous owners with the
frame number in a vehicle rigister or something?
Previous owner maybe knows about the replaced head?

Thanks!

/Tom

I asked the seller on ebay at the time about the valve cover and spacer issues. His response was:

"Z".

Not sure what that meant... I wanted him to come clean, or at least copy my question onto ebay.

Why do you need to trace it back? The parts on it are wrong, thats a fact. There was no 4 bolt valve cover on the 1970 XS1. The 4 bolt head was created in 1972 when the XS2 came out with electric start. 4 bolt cover had the compression release in it. Probably changed by the guy you just got it from and I don't think he's going to confess. Also, under 2000 miles and the head was trashed? I guess that's possible, maybe it sat for years and the valve got stuck open destroying the head and cylinder? I'd really be courious to know if it was repainted....? Please let us know when you get it.

In the US if you have the serial number the Police can trace the present owner on their database. I don't know how many owners they can trace back. I had a bike serial number verified recently. Policeman offered to trace the number on his computer database before he verified it. I asked him what would happen if the bike came up stolen... He said "Then the bike will be my bike"....

If you paid any money through PayPal then you will have some recourse.

I would be emailing the guy asking about the differences in the heads. if you are ignored or not satisfied with his answers start a dispute resolution through ebay, once that is underway it is in the system. Once in the system you are secure but if you wait till the bike arrives you may have run out of time to claim any dispute, ( false advertising), of the purchase. Paypal take back any money paid while a dispute is in progress.

He tries to cover his arse by stating:

i beleive , and however due to
the age and
my lack of experience with yamaha

Then also states: That it is an origional, not may be due to my lack of knowledge

\\SUPPER NICE ORIGNAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He also states: not bobbed, not acceserized,,not tinkered
with

bike is sold as is where
is...........however if your looking for a nice original with super
low miles......this is it

Last edited:
Back