XS1 style reproduction seat from MikesXS - what's the verdict?

ayrhen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the old 650rider site, there was some dissatisfaction from those who purchased the XS1 style reproduction seat from MikesXS (part #68-6904). I'm wondering if anyone on here can attest to the quality of the product. Thanks.

Bit the bullet, bought the seat. Installed last night. Looks good, installed simply, fits well and seat latches properly. I haven't ridden on it yet, but in terms of fit, it is fine.

It's good to know. Anyway, I don't really have the choice, I need a new seat so I think I will order one too. :)

I dragged out this old post regarding the XS-1 type seat from Mikes and was wondering if there has been any long term use or comments on it. I need one for my 73 and it looked like the best option? My pan is good but the foam and cover are shot. Any thoughts

I can't comment on the long term use... I sold the bike it was installed on. For the time I had it, it was good... My only criticism was the metal band that runs around the bottom of the pan. It was not as nice as the stock seat, although not readily apparent. You had to look closely to notice the inconsistencies.

My only criticism was the metal band that runs around the bottom of the pan. It was not as nice as the stock seat, although not readily apparent. You had to look closely to notice the inconsistencies.

Is that something you could swap out for the original. Thanks

There's another thread with the same question. What I found about Mikes seat was that the trim is real bad. Looked like it had been bent by hand. If your pan/trim is good go on e-bay and search XS2 seat and you will see a cover from Pit Replica which is a very good cover, you can also get new foam from Yamatopdog (Speed and Sport) on e-bay.

Attachments

• Yama 650 full shot Apr 10 013.jpg
    Yama 650 full shot Apr 10 013.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 122
+1 on the trim being sloppy. Although it didn't take much to make everything tight and straight one evening it's the type of thing you shouldn't have to do on a part that costs that much. I can't comment on the durability because I changed my mind about what I wanted to do with the bike before I ever installed it. ah indecision...

I dragged out this old post regarding the XS-1 type seat from Mikes and was wondering if there has been any long term use or comments on it. I need one for my 73 and it looked like the best option? My pan is good but the foam and cover are shot. Any thoughts

Saggs,
Keep in mind that the 73 seat and tank are much wider at the rear than 72 and older. Using a 72 and older seat may put additional strain on the rear of a 73 tank and cause a leak. I've seen it happen.

Thx for the heads up. I didnt know the tanks were different. Maybe i can refoam and cover my present seat? Was the grab rail deleted for the 73 model year as well?

Thx for the heads up. I didnt know the tanks were different. Maybe i can refoam and cover my present seat? Was the grab rail deleted for the 73 model year as well?

The 73 did not have the grab rail. It has a strap instead.

Attachments

• 73650.jpg
    73650.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 119
Back