XS1100SG fuel sender leaking.

I am baffled, probably because you guys are already familiar with it. I would use sealant on both sides of my fiber washer, but when screwed together would be a compressed very thin layer and gas would only be attacking it from the edge

A very good sealant for that would be that Seals-All stuff. Has been on a fiber gasket on my modified petcock for years

A very good sealant for that would be that Seals-All stuff.
Mississippi is a 3rd world country. What I have access to is limited. I can go to Memphis, TN, but that's a crap shoot. The JB Tank Weld is under $6 and 10 minutes away by XS650. Availability helped make my choice. I do appreciate the recommendations.

I think I should leave it alone rather than risk breaking it. I have a half dozen recommendations to use sealant. None on how to fix it. I did the thread at XS11.club. It's very slow over there.
Democratic repair flowchart what could go wrong?
You sir are an aircraft mechanic.

One option is drilling it out and welding it shut. You lose a fuel gauge function but you have 1 less seal to worry about.
I'll probably do that if the repair fails. The XS11 is a gas guzzler. I'm accustomed to the light. Reserve might not make it to a refill if I'm outside local.

If you could replace the rivet, drill out, replace it with a small stainless machine screw with nuts and aluminum washers (pop rivet washers). The aluminum washers would make the seal if the machine screw is large enough to take the torque and still be insulated from grounding on the cap. I used aluminum washers to seal when marrying a GoldWing cap to a VW beetle fuel gauge, made a good seal.

Democratic repair flowchart what could go wrong?
You sir are an aircraft mechanic.
If I was following that standard, replacement of the failed component would be my only option. That's at least $300. I'll patch it and PBA it to the next station.

PBA (Prolly be alright)

I had the same issue on my Suzuki. Its just a press fit that loosened over time. Here is what I did. The trick is to keep everything from grounding. On the gas side I used a teflon washer with a captive viton o-ring. You can barely see it under the head. On the electric side I used a shouldered teflon fitting that was filed with just enough shoulder(the thickness of the flange) to hold it in place and keep brass bolt from grounding out. The captive viton o-ring will keep the gas where it supposed to be.
float 1.jpeg
float2.jpeg

Would be strange if not some chemical can do it
But if I get this right it is a warning light no functional signal to the system.
I would consider to take it away plug the hole.
I have had no fuel gauge on the XS650 for 40 years and no stops because of petrol runs out.

Maybe something I don't understand As a suggestion a washer on top of the white surface.
Sealant on the thread ???

1653734029912.png

I'll probably do that if the repair fails. The XS11 is a gas guzzler. I'm accustomed to the light. Reserve might not make it to a refill if I'm outside local.
I hope you'll excuse me for asking but just how much of a gas guzzler is your XS11 Special ?
I'm only asking because I'm planning on aquiring such a beast soon, regular unleaded is about $8/US gallon in the UK.

As for the leaking terminal, I'm sure there must be some sort of sealed insulated terminal available commercially, it's just a case of finding it.
The proverbial needle in the haystack

just how much of a gas guzzler is your XS11 Special ?
After replacing the needles and needle jets, I get 37 mpg. Before that issue was cleared up with help from this forum, I was about 25 mpg. The standards seem to do somewhat better than the Specials. The needles in the carbs are different, as are the rear wheels.
My 650 Special (3 gal) goes farther on a tank of gas than my Eleven Special (4 gal.)

Back